What is the service life of a fridge?

Quickbeam 07:47 24 Jun 2017

I ask because the man from Hotpoint talking on the 60,000 fridges of the type involved in the Grenfell fire said that that model was made between 2006/9 and expected that most would have been long scrapped by now.

I can remember all 4 fridges that have been in our household since a young 'un! Two were my parents from birth until early 20s, the other two were mine, the current one was bought around 2000 and still works fine.

Am I unusual in this, or do people change fridges after only a few years?

Forum Editor 08:33 24 Jun 2017

"...do people change fridges after only a few years?"

Our fridge/freezer is 10 years old, looks like new, and works perfectly.

Me and my big mouth.

john bunyan 08:47 24 Jun 2017

I have just bought a new freezer to replace one bought in about 1972 - 45 years. Only the seal was poor and it worked in temperatures below 10 deg , unlike its successor.

BT 08:52 24 Jun 2017

I think that fridges/freezers don't have a 'Service Life' as such they last as long as they last, and usually break down on the hottest day of the year ☺. There are improvements in efficiency etc. so I suppose its probably worth considering replacing very old ones. The current trend to Frost Free certainly avoids the defrosting chore and is probably the biggest incentive to replace old fridges. I had to replace my old Hoover fridge about 4 years ago. This was an early frost free model but the replacement Bosch is a much better appliance.

The best accessory you can buy is a Fridge Thermometer as its not always immediately obvious when a fridge goes wrong until you find the milk going off.

OTT_B 09:45 24 Jun 2017

I'm just about to replace my fridge / freezer which has worked very well since it was bought in about 2003. It's replacement is coinciding with a house move which allows me for a larger American style unit. If it weren't for that I wouldn't be replacing it. It works perfectly!

morddwyd 10:06 24 Jun 2017

The service life of most "white goods" is designed to be five years, but I suspect most people are like me and would not replace them unless they develop a fault!

Old Deuteronomy 10:40 24 Jun 2017

We have a Frigidaire freezer, now around 15 years old, working perfectly and still looks damn near like new. Definitely not on the list of things to be replaced soon.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:47 24 Jun 2017

If the motor runs and there are no refrigerant leaks then they will last years.

Usual faults are twisted doors and defective door seals reducing the efficiency followed by failing internal light(if fitted) and thermostats both easily replaced.

I suspect most older fridges get relegated to the garage to become "beer coolers" :0)

oresome 12:37 24 Jun 2017

I'd expect to get 20 years out of a fridge...........that's one that was manufactured 20 or more years ago. No doubt the manufacturing quality has been cut since then to maintain a price point so new ones won't last as long.

Freezers last a similar time, but the plastic drawers are liable to break.

Quickbeam 15:42 24 Jun 2017

Interesting...

Menzie 16:38 24 Jun 2017

These days around 5-6 years seems to be the expected life of white goods.

Fridges, Washing Machines and the like seem to be designed around the replacement mentality rather than repair. Electronics in general seem to be going that way.

When my stereo amplifier broke, I was quoted a £60 call out charge, parts and some labour. The estimate came to about £20 short of buying a brand new one which I ended up doing instead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?