What qualifies a job to be "Proper"?

Sapins 10:13 17 Jan 2017

Just read an article that said someone has not had a "Proper" job, so What do you think makes a proper job, and, if you believe there is a distinction what is it?

Quickbeam 10:40 17 Jan 2017

One that pays enough to live on without having to take a second job or rely on tax credits to make ends meet in my book.

Old Deuteronomy 11:25 17 Jan 2017

Proper job, here in Somerset, means you have done well at something or or done a good job of bodging something.

HondaMan 14:38 17 Jan 2017

Old Deuteronomy

Slightly out of context. I agree with what you say, but the alternative, I think, is as explained by Quickbeam. Neither is wholly right or wrong, they are simply two ways of answering the question, bit like "their" and "there".

Old Deuteronomy 16:25 17 Jan 2017

Slightly out of context. I agree with what you say, but the alternative, I think, is as explained by Quickbeam. Neither is wholly right or wrong, they are simply two ways of answering the question, bit like "their" and "there".

Fair enough but, I don't think the question is a fair one to ask. Who has the right to say someone's job is a "proper job" and another person's job is not? On the other hand I do agree with spider9~2.

bumpkin 17:26 17 Jan 2017

One that pays a reasonable amount of money on a regular basis is my interpretation but I don,t think it is an easily definable thing. Much is a matter of one's opinion.

Forum Editor 17:48 17 Jan 2017

The term 'a proper job' is often used when people really mean a conventional job.

I was once waiting to board an aircraft to Hong Kong when I got into conversation with a woman who was going there on holiday. She asked me what the purpose of my visit was, and when i told her I was going there to advise clients she smiled and said 'Ever thought about getting a proper job?'.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:07 17 Jan 2017

Nothing worse than getting on a plane when you know everyone else is going on holiday and you're going to work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?