What qualifications does the job require ?

Belatucadrus 09:56 15 Nov 2018
Answered

If the job in question is Japanese Cyber security minister, the answer would appear to be "Very few" or maybe "Friends in high places".

Click Here

Forum Editor 10:23 15 Nov 2018

I very much doubt that this man will be in office for much longer.

carver 12:10 16 Nov 2018
Answer

F.E sorry but people like him can get away with this, it's called having friends in government. But basically he is in a job he has no idea about, the person who wants sacking is whoever put him in it in the first place.

Cymro. 12:16 16 Nov 2018

What surprised me was that this happened in Japan. I always thought that they were more efficient at their security than most.

Quickbeam 16:55 16 Nov 2018

Japan is also one of the world's leading tech innovators. Is this man a Japanese Rip Van Winkle to have so completely missed out on the the tech revolution?

oresome 12:03 18 Nov 2018

Ministers have civil servants and experts to advise them. Some of our own departments have had numerous heads over months, let alone years.

The qualities required for the job are not technical.

I remember when Barbara Castle was Transport Minister. She didn't drive but so what?

Belatucadrus 09:23 25 Nov 2018

He gets worse.

“I myself am not that familiar with” cybersecurity matters, he told the committee.

“My biggest job (as Cabinet minister) is to read out written replies (prepared by bureaucrats) without making any mistakes,” he said.

Even this appears beyond his abilities as

"During the meeting, however, there were times when Sakurada failed to read such documents correctly. He also misunderstood questions from lawmakers and made some inappropriate answers.

Click Here

Belatucadrus 10:12 25 Nov 2018

Perhaps I should clarify how he could

"Fail to read such documents correctly".

Japanese as a written language uses three alphabets: Hiragana, Kanji and Katagana. A literate Japanese person will know about 2000 characters, academics and well read people up to 5000. So it's entirely possible that when presented with a document using esoteric techno-speak the minister in question genuinely can't read the documents he is looking at, as he may have been presented with characters entirely new to him.

Quickbeam 10:27 25 Nov 2018

Looks like we've missed a trick in not setting him on as a Brexit Secretary!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch