Hot Topics

What next for Ukraine?

Flak999 23:27 23 Feb 2014

Yanukovych has gone, the same way most dictators go, either like this or like this What now for Ukraine? this?

If Putin decides to send the tanks in, where do we in the west stand?

Osborne has apparently promised Ukraine that the UK has it's cheque book ready! (what about the deficit?)

Troubled times ahead methinks!

Flak999 22:32 06 Mar 2014

spider9

What I believe we can be thankful for is the fact that we have not given in to the siren voices of some in these islands who would have had us unilaterally disarm.

Where would we be now if Britain had given up our nuclear weapons, with a resurgent belligerent Russia falling back into their old soviet ways? Our conventional forces have been cut to the bone, we have no aircraft carriers and will not have for years to come, all three services are a mere shadow of their former selves.

The British army on the Rhine no longer exists, how would we deal with an all out Russian assault on the west without our nuclear forces?

Flak999 00:13 07 Mar 2014

Woolwell

"There will not be an all out Russian assault on the West."

How can you be so sure? Who would have thought two weeks ago that Russian troops would be occupying Crimea!

If Putin wanted to attack western Europe what is to stop him?

No, I think it very fortuitous that we still have trident, because conventionally we have nothing to stop him, it is only the threat of the west's nuclear deterrent that will stop him.

Forum Editor 06:22 07 Mar 2014

Flak999

"If Putin wanted to attack western Europe what is to stop him?"

Come, come, you've been watching too many action movies. Russia is not going to attack Western Europe in a month of Sundays.

Quickbeam 07:58 07 Mar 2014

So my plan to solve our economic plight by binning Trident is still a valid argument on the basis that we aren't really going to nuke anyone anytime soon?

And slightly deviating, but on a similar subject, is anyone else watching the 3 part '37 Days' docudrama about the British and European Foreign offices diplomatic word play in the lead up to the Great War? It's fascinating TV at it's best.

Quickbeam 09:06 07 Mar 2014

*"At what juncture would we ever despatch our 'independent' nuclear weapon, that would not be just as part of a NATO/US decision"?*

I suspect that by the time a committee was set up to make that decision, we'll have been evaporated and it'll become a rhetorical question...

I no longer believe that we will ever nuke anyone under any circumstances.

If I'm wrong, who be be around to tell me 'I told you so'...

Flak999 15:05 07 Mar 2014

fourm member

"That would be anyone who had actually spent any time studying the history of the region."

Really!

Well, I suggest you put yourself forward to the foreign office as an advisor, because it seems to have caught most governments in Europe and the US by surprise.

I wonder, if perhaps you can enlighten us to how you knew this was all going to happen, or perhaps you are talking with the benefit of hindsight?

Flak999 16:26 07 Mar 2014

fourm member

"Do you really think that Russian response to upheaval in Ukraine hasn't been part of the war games played by militaries in the west?"

I really have no idea! Not being privy to the machinations of the NATO or US general staff what war games they may or may not have played. Surely it is the duty of our Chief of General staff to advise our elected politicians what threats they foresee?

So you are saying that they might have known this was going to happen, but totally disregarded that information?

If they did know, they have all done a remarkable job of pretending they knew nothing!

I think you're the one who is being naive.

Forum Editor 18:26 07 Mar 2014

"So you are saying that they might have known this was going to happen, but totally disregarded that information?"

Just about anyone who has any understanding of the political history of the region knew that there would be trouble in Crimea the minute the Ukraine government was deposed. You obviously are not one of those people.

58 percent of the population of Crimea is composed of ethnic Russians. A recent survey conducted in Russia showed that 56 percent of the people who took part viewed Crimea as part of Russia.

Of course European foreign Ministers knew what was likely to happen, as did every military leader in Western Europe. Nobody was 'caught out' by it. You can know that something is likely to happen, but you can't do anything about it until it does happen, and you certainly don't go blabbing it all over the place in advance of events.

bumpkin 20:14 08 Mar 2014
  Flak999 18:21 15 Mar 2014

Now that Russia has further isolated itself after the vote in the security council, with thirteen members voting for the resolution and only Russia voting against, with their usual ally China abstaining. What will be the west's reaction to the result of the referendum tomorrow when as expected Crimea votes to become part of Russia?

Is Putin really the next Hitler? Are we going to see him wanting to protect Russian minorities in the other former Soviet satellites?

What happens if he marches in to Poland, Latvia or Estonia?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Huawei Mate Xs could’ve been the first great big-screen foldable

Doodler Jon Burgerman has a great body (of work!)

Apple Arcade ain't what it used to be

Test : le Yoga C740 de Lenovo