What have you always wanted to try

WhiteTruckMan 23:42 14 Nov 2006

No catch here, just a simple question. Is there anything at all that you've always wanted to have a go at? Preferably something reasonable and actualy do-able from a practical point of view.

Me, for instance, I've always wanted to try my hand at glass blowing. I know its a highly skilled craft, and I dont think I can properly explain why, just that its something I've wanted to try for a long time.

Anyone else harbouring a secret yen for a new experience?

p;3 22:29 15 Nov 2006

have a ride in a helicopter

just might try to wrangle that one for a birthday present or similar

wolfie3000 23:04 15 Nov 2006

Iv always wanted to play live with these guys.

click here

I saw them live years back and was blown away,

But id only want to play with them live if its the original lineup,

Max Cavalera,
Igor cavalera
paulo Jr
Andreas Kisser

Brumas 23:42 15 Nov 2006

A flight in one of the two airworthy (or both) Lancaster bombers - absolutely no chance.
I have seen them both, but I suspect that's about it.

Having said that I managed to actually go aboard NX611-Just Jane at the Lincolnshire Aviation Centre. I was fortunate to be talking to the late Ron Emeny AFM (207 Sqn, shot down on the Mailly raid of 3/4 May 1944 and the last airman taken across the Pyrenees by the Comète Line), I said I wouldn't half mind getting aboard the lanc. - his reply was to ask him over there. I duly asked Fred Panton (the owner) and lo and behold there was Ron and I squeezing along the fuselage I could go on.....

Forum Editor 00:09 16 Nov 2006

My father flew Lancasters in the last war, and could tell some stories. He's gone now, but I can still remember living on an RAF station when I was young, and hearing the unmistakeable sound of a squadron of Lancasters taking off at night, one after the other. They howled over our house at a couple of hundred feet as they climbed off the runway - the whole house reverberated to the sound. We were at RAF Lindholme in the Yorkshire moors (it's now an open prison), and at that time Lancasters were still operational - just. Lindholme had two squadrons which formed part of what was then called the Strategic Air Command. Down the road a few miles was RAF Finningley, and they had Vulcan jet bombers.

WhiteTruckMan 00:28 16 Nov 2006

were ex-TSR2 development engineers ("everything that the tornado could do but 20 years earlier")who had flown lancasters operationally. When they were in a good mood there was no end to the tales we got told about them. I think it was one of them who were responsible for a little day trip to hendon, where we got to crawl round inside some of the exhibits, the lancaster being one of the favourites. When you think about trying to climb over that huge main spar in bulky flying gear (god forbid doing it in an emergency )to the cramped working conditions it gave you some idea of the quality of the people who flew these slow, noisy, cold, unpressurised aircraft for a living. I recall somewhere that the average operational flying life of a lancaster was only 40 hours in WW2. Makes you think.....

Forum Editor 01:12 16 Nov 2006

I still have my father's RAF flying jacket - leather with a thick fleece lining - that he wore in an attempt to keep warm on operations.

He was originally in a Pathfinders squadron before flying Lancasters. He took part in the notorious 'firestorm' raids on Cologne and Dresden, winning the DSO and DFC in the process, and on one hair-raising occasion returned from a raid and landed with no undercarriage - sliding off the runway into a ploughed field at night. The crew all got out safely, and returned to take a look at the aircraft in daylight - only to discover that they had landed with two unreleased bombs 'hung up' in the bomb bay.

These things happened, and the crews tended to take them in their stride, although stress levels must have been enormous in people who were mostly in their early to late twenties, and were flying into Germany night after night, trying to bomb targets whilst being subjected to horrendous levels of anti-aircraft fire. No sophisticated evasion technology in those days - you simply held your course until the bomb-aimer shouted 'bombs gone', and hoped that you had enough fuel to get you back through the hostile fire and the enemy fighter squadrons waiting to pick you off over the channel.

WhiteTruckMan 01:31 16 Nov 2006

the most technically demanding job was that of navigator. A fact brought home to me by a tv recreation of the dambuster raid using a crew of recent (cranwell?) aircrew graduates. Finding your way across a largely blacked out continent without modern gps counts as a minor miracle in itself. Electronic navigation aids were in their infancy, and were prone to enemy disruption (see R.V. Jones's 'bending the beams').

laurie53 12:35 16 Nov 2006

Back to the thread - wing walking

WhiteTruckMan 12:55 16 Nov 2006

I let myself get distracted there.

I have wing walked too many times to count, but I presume you men the type when the aircraft is actually flying :-)

PurplePenny 22:59 16 Nov 2006

Go into space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?