What is Flat Iron steak ..

bumpkin 16:26 11 Mar 2018

I bought some steaks from Donald Russell butchers, expensive and sent by post. I wanted fillet but got Flat Iron, is that the same?

Forum Editor 17:03 11 Mar 2018

No, it's not.

Flat iron steaks come from the shoulder of the cow, and were previously avoided, because there's a tough piece of gristle running right through the middle of the cut. Modern butchery removes this, which is why you'll sometimes see a cut running along the middle of the steak.

If you like your steak well-done you should avoid flat iron - it will be tough. Cook it medium rare, or (my preference) rare and you'll find it tender and absolutely delicious. I think it beats fillet any day - we barbecue it in the summer, and cut it into half inch strips when it's done. Some salt and pepper, a crispy-skinned jacket potato, some nice fresh salad, a glass or two of your favourite beverage, and you can feast like a king.

I first encountered it at a barbecue in Australia, where it's referred to as Top Blade.

Enjoy your steak.

john bunyan 18:14 11 Mar 2018

Fillet is tender but lacks taste. The best beef steak is sirloin, the longer matured on the bone the better - 28 days or up to 35 . Aberdeen Angus or , if available, Argentine, but that used to be better when pampas grass fed. These days too much beef is fed on feed lots.

bumpkin 21:17 11 Mar 2018

FE, a bit cold at the moment for a barbee, but thanks for the input and your suggestions I like medium rare so it should be good. Never tried much cooking before sad admission for someone of my age but it was always Mum, Wife or Daughter. Only Daughter left alive so time to get my act together before she moves on.

Aitchbee 21:24 11 Mar 2018

bumpkin,hint; after cooking any steak in frying pan or grilling, always allow it to 'relax' on a warm plate for at least 5 minutes before serving, as it will become more tender and easier to chew.

bumpkin 21:27 11 Mar 2018

Do you consider this a good deal.

2x sirloin 230g

2x ribeye 230g

2x flat iron 180g

2x pave rump 150g

1x mince 440g

bumpkin 21:29 11 Mar 2018

Perhaps I should have mentioned the price £50.

Aitchbee 21:31 11 Mar 2018

I'd pay no more than £40 quid for that lot.

Aitchbee 21:34 11 Mar 2018

... but £50 is quite reasonable for an untrained cook who is still learning the ropes ;o].

john bunyan 21:44 11 Mar 2018

If, for example, you look at ALDI Aberdeen sirloin steaks (227g) at £4.49 (21 days matured) , if you bought 10 of them it would be £44.9 - in fact you would pay about £33 if you bought similar products to your list there. With beef, flavour and tenderness is important , so I would select the items you want rather than a mixed package. Also , if possible, I would avoid freezing.

ALDI

Forum Editor 22:14 11 Mar 2018

The best steak is a Rib eye. Much better than a sirloin, in my opinion.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

The best smart speaker: Apple HomePod vs Google Home vs Amazon Echo

Augmentation du tabac : les meilleures applications pour arrĂȘter de fumer