What first brought you here?

Forum Editor 17:42 20 Jun 2011
Answered

Driving back to the office this afternoon I got to wondering - how did you first become involved with our forum?

I'm not asking when, but how - what first brought you to the PCA site, was it because you read about it in the magazine, heard about it from someone, or did you come here as a result of a Google search, or a link on another web-site? Perhaps you can't remember, it was so long ago?

If you can remember I would like to hear about it. I'm also interested to discover how many women take part in forum activities, but I do not in any way want to intrude on anyone's right to privacy - obviously there's no need to tell me if you would rather not; It's simply a matter of personal interest on my part.

Sapins 15:54 21 Jun 2011

This question has caused me to look up when I "arrived" and I find that it is my 10th. anniversary next month. I found the forum from a copy of the magazine which I bought and I have, honestly, never looked for another PC Forum which I think would be a waste of time. These forums do what they say on the tins. I will never change my name as I have gotten quite attached to it. I'll use this thread to say a word of thanks to those responsible for keeping the forums running and everyone who has helped me and I hope I have been able to help some members as well.

Forum Editor 16:55 21 Jun 2011

sunnystaines

"*FE How did you end up being FE here on PCA?*"

It's a long story, but to cut it short.....

I joined the forum when it was first launched, and rapidly became hooked. In those far off days there were relatively few of us, and we mainly seemed to indulge in late night discussions - setting the world to rights, as you do.

After a few months of that we were invaded (for want of a better word) by a group of people whose main object in life seemed to be to disrupt proceedings as much as possible with offensive personal comments and unacceptable language. A few of us tried to calm things down, but it went from bad to worse, and one day, out of the blue, I was contacted by PCA with a proposal - would I be prepared to act as a behind the scenes moderator?

The idea was that I would have the ability to delete posts and ban people, but nobody would know it was me - I was a ghost FE if you like.

That seemed to work fairly well, but it became more and more difficult to maintain the subterfuge, and - again out of the blue - I was asked if I would take the forums on as a permanent Forum Editor, whilst still running my 'other' business life as an IT consultant. I said yes, thinking that it would be an interesting project for a few months; a year at most.

That was over ten years ago, and you know the rest.

woodchip 17:43 21 Jun 2011

Yep I remember those days well, there was a lot Banned. some contacted me complaining for better word excuses for there actions. I think I had moved up from Win95 to first version of Win98 before se version came along. It did fill the void for a small part after I lost my wife Aug 94

woodchip 17:46 21 Jun 2011

Also remember a spate of Spamming on PCA forum. That subsided after a while and we have not had it bad since those days

Forum Editor 18:24 21 Jun 2011

woodchip

Those days are indelibly stamped in my memory - nightly fights, and some disgraceful language and personal abuse. It was that which led to the closure of 'The Lounge' - yesteryear's version of Speakers Corner - and was a classic example of how a few badly behaved individuals can spoil something for many.

I still have a folder containing some of the email abuse I received at the time, and reading it now brings memories of those days and nights flooding back. It was the closure of the lounge that precipitated the mass spamming of other forum areas.

Good to see you're still with us in happier times.

woodchip 18:28 21 Jun 2011

Yep I still like to help where I can, but its not getting any easier at 75

colberly 18:30 21 Jun 2011

Can't remember which year, it was so long ago, but I came to the forum via the mag initially, I know I hadn't been on the internet for long & was still using Windows 98. In the past many PCA members have helped with any problems I had for which I am grateful & who could forget the lounge? Don't take part in too many activities nowadays but I do visit most days & BTW I am female. :)

exdragon 19:46 21 Jun 2011

That's at least three of us then!

woodchip 20:00 21 Jun 2011

And FE as had is share of PC problem, one being a Floppy Drive that refused to show up most of the time in is PC. Think he also fitted a different make Hard Drive to a Laptop, and it did not like it.

Forum Editor 20:12 21 Jun 2011

woodchip

What a good memory - the rogue floppy drive was a complete mystery at the time. It was in a client's desktop, and I obviously sorted it out eventually, but I can't remember how.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 5G UK Release Date, Price & Specification

D&AD Awards 2019: Check out the Pencil winners from the year's biggest creative awards

WWDC 2019 dates and what to expect

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables (2019)