Hot Topics

What exactly is a 'Think Tank'

dagbladet 13:04 06 Jun 2007

Just heard on the radio that "a government think tank has announced......"

What exactly are these things? Where do they do it? Do people sit around eating doughnuts and bouncing ideas off each other? Do they get paid? Is it a career choice? Has anybody here ever been on one?

I've been hearing this phrase most of my life and now I need to know.

dagbladet 13:09 06 Jun 2007

Thanks for trying Gandalf, but I still can't picture it, and you singularly failed to address the doughnut issue.

wee eddie 13:12 06 Jun 2007

one of those Natural History programs where a group of Apes, or possibly Monkeys, sit around and pick fleas off each other's back.

That's a Think Tank

dagbladet 13:33 06 Jun 2007

Erm...I just have.

wee eddie 14:03 06 Jun 2007

With only one under my belt I can't really say more than this.

It appears to have been formed to confirm the preconceived ideas of the Organisation that formed it.

TopCat® 14:40 06 Jun 2007

Here's a picture of one click here that really worked! A consensus of opinion definitely brought this about. TC.

spuds 18:39 06 Jun 2007

Think Tank is a team of people who know better than you.

Question:If its looks like it may rain outside, will you need an umbrella?
Answer:Yes-No-Maybe?

Four people decide Yes, One decides No and One decides Maybe. Should provide the final result after debate ;o)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:09 06 Jun 2007

Been on a few of these, best thing I know for spending a few hours away from the pressure and trouble of the workplace.

We come up with the ideas then spend hours arguing about which idea is the best / cheapest / easiest to impliment etc. and therefore nothing actually occurs for months maybe years and if we are lucky the problem has gone away of its own accord by then.

To actualy get anything done I mostly do it (or set it up) myself and tell the boss aterwards.

:0)

wee eddie 19:14 06 Jun 2007

Shall we dance?

oresome 20:11 06 Jun 2007

The last time I attended a course remotely connected with this topic, I noted down a list of ideas during a discussion.

WRONG!

A list is far too structured and rigid and I'd get nowhere fast according to the tutor.

So we settled for a circle. That way you have no start and no finish and can go on for ever and never reach a conclusion.

Think I'll leave the blue sky thinking to others.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to make yourself look better on a webcam

Doraemon postage stamps? Yes please!

Users report serious problems with macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Les clés Windows pas chères fonctionnent-elles ?