What does the future hold for us?

Cymro. 13:48 29 Jun 2017

BBC news site

So what does the future hold for us then? Driverless cars are only the start. What else lies ahead for us? Are you an optimist who looks forward to such things or someone who thinks it will end up as some sort of hell on earth? Personally I look forward to new technology with the only regret that at 70 years old I am going to miss the best of it all. Yes there will be snags but I am confident that whatever the scientist come up with wwe will manage and so make the best of it all.

bumpkin 15:21 02 Jul 2017

wee eddie, I remember that from schooldays, my friend and I found it hilarious.

wee eddie 15:46 02 Jul 2017

Not any longer.

Think, Trump and Kim Jong Whatever

Aitchbee 16:09 02 Jul 2017

Having looked into my crystal ball, I know that my local launderette will be inundated with dozens of new customers as there are scores of new houses being built nearby.

bumpkin 20:56 02 Jul 2017

The sun is out click here

Forum Editor 06:54 03 Jul 2017

"....the only regret that at 70 years old I am going to miss the best of it all."

I think you're absolutely right. The future will bring huge advances in technology and medical knowledge particularly, but in most other fields as well. If you look at the way the sum of human knowledge has advanced in the last thirty or forty years you realise how astonishing the rate of progress is now, compared to say, 100 years ago.

We are going to see even more remarkable advances coming. Fifty years from now, technology will have transformed the lives of everyone alive then beyond our present understanding.

LastChip 10:54 03 Jul 2017

"We are going to see even more remarkable advances coming. Fifty years from now, technology will have transformed the lives of everyone alive then beyond our present understanding."

But will it actually be better for the human race?

Technology (as we've already seen) is a two edge sword. While it advances one area, it depletes another.

oresome 11:12 03 Jul 2017

Huge advances in medical knowledge will only exacerbate the fundamental issue which is that the human population has been too successful and is in danger of outgrowing the planet's ability to support it.

Forum Editor 22:19 03 Jul 2017

"the human population has been too successful and is in danger of outgrowing the planet's ability to support it."

That's not even vaguely true. The problem is not that the human race has become too successful - exactly the opposite is true - we haven't become successful enough. We have a long way to go in terms of understanding how our planet works, but we'll get there.

The planet can easily support us all, provided we learn how to manage natural resources properly. We haven't done that yet.

wee eddie 22:59 03 Jul 2017

So far, Malthus has been correct, well almost correct

oresome 19:33 04 Jul 2017

Assuming this site is still up and running and you are all opting to be deep frozen, we'll have to revisit the thread in 500 years and see who was right.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 5G UK Release Date, Price & Specification

D&AD Awards 2019: Check out the Pencil winners from the year's biggest creative awards

WWDC 2019 dates and what to expect

iPhone 2019 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs