Hot Topics

What do you hate about getting old.

bumpkin 21:39 19 Nov 2017

I don't mean the physical things like illness or not being able to see the progress of your off spring once you have gone. Whilst I can imagine the future be I right or wrong I will never know. Those that have lived 100yrs have seen huge changes in a relatively short time. Any thoughts on this.

iscanut 19:29 20 Nov 2017

At what age do you think is " getting old " ? I am in my mid seventies but I know 50 year olds who seem older than me in outlook and physicality. I still swim outdoors each day,walk 10 or 12 miles each Sunday and do 30 miles on my bike in the afternoons and still have holidays walking up Scottish mountains,BUT I also have had to cut down on the number of pots in the garden !

bumpkin 21:14 20 Nov 2017

A good point iscanut, I have an 84yr old gardener/handyman. The fittest person of that age I have ever encountered and still working manually and not just for me. Rarely moans about his health but ocassionlly says he is getting old and doesn't like it. He was picked on by 50ish year old in a car park who was threatening him, he replied "I am in my eighties and too old for this sort of thing but if you want to give it a try come on then" That is the spirit.

chub_tor 21:55 20 Nov 2017

I will be hitting 80 in around 18 months time so some of the younger generation would consider me old but that is certainly not how I feel. I have been very lucky with health, had all my major problems before I finished my thirties and now the only pills I take are non-prescription. I no longer jog but I can and do walk several miles a week. The one thing that I regret is that I can no longer quickstep, I can still waltz and foxtrot and do a slow jive but somehow my co-ordination for the quickstep no longer works.

morddwyd 10:51 21 Nov 2017

This is the place for lively and thought-provoking debate *strong text*

This site gets dafter and mote puerile by the day!

There are plenty of !old codgers" sites where these things are discussed ad nauseam to the total boredom of everyone but the posters.

One look at this thread and a newcomer would dismiss us as just like all the rest, and I've always thought we were not!

HondaMan 11:39 21 Nov 2017

I spend all night doing what I used to do all night!

Aitchbee 12:20 21 Nov 2017

*The memories of a man in his old age Are the deeds of a man in his prime.*

... Pink Floyd.

bumpkin 20:17 21 Nov 2017

morddwyd+, not to worry not long to go before we can talk turkey.

flycatcher1 22:58 21 Nov 2017

Mt Father-in-Law said that the problem with old age is that the mind makes an appointment that the body cannot keep. Keep the mind and body as active as you can and try not to anothing stupid. I am OK on two and sometimes three of those.

I know some old fifties and also a young 99 year old, health comes into it but attitude is very important. At nearly 88 I try to get to bed by midnight and up by eight but have to water the desert a couple of times each night.

I hate the cold.

Brumas 18:01 22 Nov 2017

The effort needed to turn over in bed and also getting into a comfortable sleeping position. Years ago I could have fallen asleep on a clothes line but now it takes, what seems, ages!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to make yourself look better on a webcam

Doraemon postage stamps? Yes please!

Users report serious problems with macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Les clés Windows pas chères fonctionnent-elles ?