What to do in a terrorist attack

bumpkin 18:52 18 Dec 2015

"Run away" say the police, glad to know that our money is well spent on these highly paid professionals otherwise it would not have occurred to me.

spuds 19:38 18 Dec 2015

The problem with that, is the fact of running away from trouble, you might also be running into it. A fact very well known and used by many parties!.

Any link to that story?.

lotvic 19:52 18 Dec 2015

Police terror video advises public to 'run, hide, tell' click here

bumpkin 21:17 18 Dec 2015

If you actually watch the video, you will see that it is all perfectly sensible advice.

Yes it is and I thought that would be obvious to anyone with a brain cell

Devil Fish 22:24 18 Dec 2015

In a situation like that people react differently.I would suggest in most cases survival instinct would kick in and people would work these things out for themselves.But you also have the type of person that may freeze and not know what to do so for them the advice maybe helpful.

Forum Editor 22:31 18 Dec 2015

bumpkin

Your response is typical of people who completely miss the point. The video is a public information release and is specifically designed to tell people things that are not so obvious to anyone with a brain cell.

When terrorist attacks occur people panic, and they don't always react in a way that is going to maximise their chances of surviving. It's easy for you to sit there and deride the attempt that the Police are making because you are not involved in a terrorist incident. The aim of the video is to give people time to think about the measures they might take in the hope that some of it will be remembered, should the need arise. Police, who have had many years experience of terrorist action, are the best people to know what members of the public should and should not do.

[DELETED] 23:47 18 Dec 2015

I agree with FE on this one. When terrorists strike you have no warning so you do what you can to hide yourselves. That's your only protection sadly.

spuds 01:25 19 Dec 2015

There are quite a lot of 'instructional' video's, that the police and other emergency services use on a regular basis, both for 'private' and public use.

It probably doesn't apply now so much as it use to do, but seeing a person (as in the video) using a mobile phone, or any form of radio communications in close proximity to the incident of this kind, use to be a no-no, until the all clear was given. In one video I saw, there was actual distances provided, and even some of those seemed very suspect, as to whether they would trigger anything off!.

Like was as already been suggested, different people react in different ways, when any incident takes place. It's only afterwards, when all the the information is obtained, that the true story can then perhaps be told.

Govan1x 08:51 19 Dec 2015

Just wonder if they know something that we don't.Or is it just a precaution.

Forum Editor 11:48 19 Dec 2015

Govan1x

"Just wonder if they know something that we don't.Or is it just a precaution".

I'm quite sure that the anti-terrorist branch of the Police know things that we don't, but we all know that there's a heightened risk of terrorist attacks in Britain at the moment, so it is a sensible precaution to issue advice to the populace.

We can do nothing to protect ourselves against random attacks, except to use our common sense. If we are involved in an incident there are things we can do to maximise our chances of surviving, however, and that is what the Police video addresses.

Some people might see the advice as stating the obvious, but that's because they haven't understood the point - when we're under severe stress there's a strong chance that we'll act irrationally, and one person's idea of common-sense may not be the same as another's. An information video like this one tries to give everyone the same set of rules, in the hope that the imagery and method of presentation will increase our chance of remembering.

Let's hope that none of us ever have to put it to the test.

bumpkin 18:37 19 Dec 2015

OK,I accept the points made but would watching the video make people re-act any differently in what I would imagine to be a panic situation. Impossible to say of course unless one has been there. No doubt they are well intentioned but to me do not say much more than I would expect people to do anyway. As stated let's hope that we are never in a situation where we find out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

2019's best up-and-coming illustrators

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment utiliser une manette PS4 ou Xbox One sur votre Mac ?