What is Boris Johnson up to?

Cymro. 12:25 23 Jan 2018

BBC link

Boris Johnson is to push for an extra £100m a week for the NHS in England after Brexit, the BBC understands. So what is Johnson up to then? He has hopes of becoming party leader if not actually PM. Should the NHS ever become too much of a drain on finances and Boris makes a bid for the premiership it could work out better for him to have at least appeared to be a firm supporter of the NHS. Safe in his hands well I don't think so but it may suit him for us to think the NHS is at least a little safer in his hands.

Forum Editor 17:01 23 Jan 2018

Boris is doing what Boris does, he's airing his views for personal reasons. He doesn't seem to mind whose toes he treads on, and he soaks up Theresa May's irritation like a sponge.

He hasn't really been tested in his role of Foreign Secretary yet, and that will be interesting when/if it happens. I think I've said this before - Boris is not the buffoon that a lot of people think. Underneath all that waffle and blunder ticks a very astute mind.

Quickbeam 19:34 23 Jan 2018

"Boris is not the buffoon that a lot of people think. Underneath all that waffle and blunder ticks a very astute mind."

Yes, he's jostling for the best position before the gates open... or collapse!

morddwyd 19:52 23 Jan 2018

What's he doing?

Surely that's fairly obvious?

rickf 20:08 23 Jan 2018

"Underneath all that waffle and blunder ticks a very astute mind."

I would say a devious mind and a totally self serving man.

bumpkin 20:44 23 Jan 2018

I would say a devious mind and a totally self serving man.

Qr in other words a politician.

wee eddie 21:10 23 Jan 2018

What person does not work for their own benefit. He has political ambitions and TM is not in a very strong position at the present. He is not the only one jockeying for personal advantage.

Being PM is a poisoned chalice, also very badly paid, but once you have left you can make a fortune with Directorships and on the 'rubber chicken' circuit

Forum Editor 22:50 23 Jan 2018

rickf

"I would say a devious mind and a totally self serving man."

Such people exist at the top of all political parties, bar none. You are being incredibly naive if you think otherwise.

alanrwood 11:08 24 Jan 2018

He has judged that TM has not got long to go and is jockeying for position and mass popularity by latching on to the NHS problems just as he did in the referendum campaign.

john bunyan 12:12 24 Jan 2018

This is about allocation of some of the alleged savings post Brexit. We are committed to pay in for 3 or more years and maybe will have to pay for access to financial market etc. Who knows when real savings will actually accrue? If Boris keeps interfering he should be fired. I think we need to raise taxes etc now to help NHS etc.

alanrwood 14:12 24 Jan 2018

I agree that tax rises are the only solution to the NHS financial problems. The underlying problem is that no government wants to be associated with tax rises as it affects their electoral popularity. Look what happened when the Lib Dems made it part of their manifesto to increase tax for the NHS and if I remember correctly to ring fence it. The trouble is that people want their cake and eat it. Great NHS but not to pay for it. The richer ones don't care as they have private medical insurance anyway. Maybe it will turn out to be the only way that people will pay an appropriate sum to cover the true cost of medical services other than emergency cover. I hope it never comes to that myself but what is another solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

34 tips for turning your art and graphics into amazing animated GIFs

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs