What are Header tricing knittles?

  csqwared 19:28 03 May 2017

Currently reading a historical naval novel and the above are mentioned. I've Googled (as you do) with no luck. I know we have some RN/RM forumites so wondered if anyone could shed light. They seem to have something to do with hammocks (I do know what they are!)

  john bunyan 19:52 03 May 2017

I am not absolutely sure but a tricing line is one used for hauling, such as lowering or raising a lifeboat ( tricing pennant). I think header tricing knittles refers to the rigging of a hammock, i.e. The ends which can be hauled up when it is in use.

  john bunyan 19:55 03 May 2017

Ps the "knittle" refers to a drawstring, such as for closing a bag or purse, or at the end of a hammock

  bumpkin 19:56 03 May 2017

I am not sure either but thing it has something to do with pulling or pulleys which may be used on hammocks.

  bumpkin 19:58 03 May 2017

posted before seeing johns explanation.

  hssutton 20:02 03 May 2017

Here is a discription in a story that confirms Johns suggestion Header tricing knittles

  hssutton 20:08 03 May 2017

Should have added scroll down to the bottom of page 18 next to bottom paragraph

  john bunyan 20:11 03 May 2017

I have also seen a diagram of a US naval hammock where there is a metal ring to which the spreading ropes are attached . The ring was called a nettle, perhaps originating from the old RN "knittle" or drawstring.

  csqwared 20:31 03 May 2017


Thanks for that, think I've got the picture now.


That's actually the book I'm reading! It does link the phrase with hammocks but I had no idea of the relationship between the two, hence the question.

Thanks to all for the swift (as ever) replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi A3 Review: Hands-on

Can you trademark a moving image?

Best free iPhone games 2019

Les bons plans audio (2019)