Were you happy with your chosen career?

flycatcher1 17:41 18 Nov 2016

My youngest Grandson shared a house with four others when at Uni doing a Masters in Chemistry, he has remained friends with the others and is in regular contact. After Graduation this is what happened : One went to work in the Car Industry and is well paid and very happy, another works for a Privatised Company and is reasonably paid but hates it. Number three works in the Financial Market in Hong Kong, he is on £150,000 pa and last year had a bonus of £250,000 but absolutely hates the job. My Grandson has an expertise in an outside pursuit and has taken a job there earning not much more than the Minimum Wage. He is extremely happy and has the firm intention of staying in that particular line although the prospects of advancement are minimal.

Is happiness in a job necessary for a fulfilling life?

bumpkin 18:29 18 Nov 2016

What became of the other one. I think we would all like to be happy in our work but also in the rest of our lives, so we often have to compromise.

rickf 18:39 18 Nov 2016

Mine has a Masters in History and Art but has become a musician and a composer. He is living in the EU not well off lecturing part-time at a Uni but seems to be happy with his chosen path. In the end being content with your life and work is very important as long as it has some balance with earnings.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:09 18 Nov 2016

we spend a third or more of our lives at work and so better to be happy.

I was lucky and found a job I was good at and enjoyed even though the pay wasn't great.

Enjoy it so much that even though retired I still go back and do a bit, finding it hard to break away :0)

bumpkin 19:10 18 Nov 2016

Earnings is often the problem when you have a family, as I said one has to compromise but being in a job you hate is another thing.

bumpkin 19:13 18 Nov 2016

Where you live, what your capabilities are and the availability of work also enter the equation.

morddwyd 20:01 18 Nov 2016

Spent forty years in mine, so I guess I enjoyed it!

While there were obviously bad times, I can think of nothing worse that waking up each morning trying to think of an excuse not to go to work.

LastChip 22:10 19 Nov 2016

I was lucky. For at least part of my life I had a job I loved and was very well paid.

Conversely, later on, circumstances found me in a job which was fun at first with average pay, but which I ultimately detested and ended up walking away from.

Yes, I do believe it's essential to at least not hate what you're doing every day. But sadly, money makes the world go around and is an essential part of living for most of us.

I also believe, going to a job you hate every day creates stress, which in turn creates early death in a lot of people. The phrase - "he worked himslf to death" has never been more apt.

If I had my time again (retired now), I'd try not to work for anyone, but completely control my own destiny. The opportunities were there, I just couldn't bring myself to take the risks. Had I have done so, I would have been seriously wealthy by now.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

But my advice to anyone hating what they're doing every day, no matter what they're earning is get out while you've still got your health. Nothing is worth killing yourself for. You soon learn to adapt and live with what you have.

Old Deuteronomy 10:37 20 Nov 2016

Being happy is more important than being rich.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:29 20 Nov 2016

and if you can't be happy then at least be content.

Hating your job makes a misery for everyone round you not just yourself.

chub_tor 15:50 20 Nov 2016

I only ever worked for two companies. The first was the old Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company in Chelmsford where I completed my apprenticeship and stayed on in the Research Department at Great Baddow for 12 years. Great place to work, great job and I am still in touch with 5 other ex-apprentices that I met 60 years ago. I left Marconi only because it was taken over by GEC, (then run by Sir Arnold Weinstock) who drastically cut back on research funding.

My last employer was originally American owned and was a manufacturer of mechanical thermostats for the domestic appliance industry and I was hired to set up their electronics department. Over a period of 25 years we managed to become involved with several large appliance and automotive makers and we supplied them with controls for heating, cooling and timing. Again another exciting job, reasonably well paid but with the benefit? of a lot of international travel. I decided to take early retirement when the company, by now British owned and part of the Siebe/Invensys group, moved all electronics production to Germany. As with my Marconi friends, I still maintain good relationships with many of my co-workers and we meet every 6 weeks or so to natter about "the good old days" over a pie and a pint.

I would urge all young job beginners to find something that they enjoy doing rather than go for the money. Train hard, accept the poor money while learning and if you do a good job the money will most likely follow. That said, interesting jobs in industry are not easy to find nowadays.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Stadia review

When 12 countries take on the same brief in a globalised world

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Les meilleurs bracelets connect├ęs (2019)