We're Really Going to Hell in a Handbasket

morddwyd 09:50 13 Aug 2019

The RAF is to be allowed to grow beards.

click here end of civilisation as we know it!

The

Pine Man 10:23 13 Aug 2019

The RAF is to be allowed to grow beards.

That's not fair. What about the women??

john bunyan 10:40 13 Aug 2019

Facial hair has an interesting history in the forces. In the RAF , the “Flying Officer Kite” moustache was de rigeure, no beards. In the Army, also, beards were only permitted for farriers iin the household cavalry. In the RN, of which the RM is a part, the RM follow Army rules . The RN are ONLY allowed beards , not moustaches ( they ask for permission not to shave). I remember in the early ‘70’s in SF days, we all had “Viva Zapata” style moustaches. Prince Harry , in Army or RM uniform apparently has the Queen’s permission to have a beard.

Sikhs are allowed beards in all branches of the services.

As you say , what a change but I guess other will follow if recruiting remains poor

wee eddie 11:29 13 Aug 2019

I can see that, once real men start wearing beards, Hipsters will lose interest

Menzie 13:05 13 Aug 2019

Wee Eddie - What will the beard maintenance market do? There are so many products out there to maintain a beard. All sorts of creams, gels and trimmers.

wee eddie 13:31 13 Aug 2019

Many will go, cease to exist, be ex-beard products!

No fashion lasts that long. However, some people will continue to wear beards, they will just begin to look old-fashioned and eventually - Fogeyish!

Menzie 13:38 13 Aug 2019

I wonder if it works.

Belatucadrus 15:42 13 Aug 2019

It's stuff like that that got me to shave mine off, to find I'd inadvertently joined a clique of pretentious millennials using products like " Beard Oil or Butter " was just toooooooo much so it had to go.

The tache had to stay, it's great for catching snot when you sneeze. Stops you getting it on your shirt.

Isn't it sexist to suggest women can't grow beards ? There are definately some round here that could have a pretty good go at it.

Forum Editor 15:52 13 Aug 2019

As far as I'm concerned, the current fashion among young men for sporting beards can't fade soon enough.

At least it's preferable to the fashion for covering your body in apparently meaningless tattoos - beards can be removed in a few minutes. I think there will be a lot of people making a lot of money out of laser tattoo removal in years to come.

Pine Man 16:44 13 Aug 2019

At least it's preferable to the fashion for covering your body in apparently meaningless tattoos

That is something that we both agree on 100%!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:08 13 Aug 2019

or you could mix the two

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Witcher 3 (Switch) Preview

Classic posters from Cuba's Golden Age celebrate cinema and revolution

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Comment télécharger des films et séries Amazon Prime Video ?