Hot Topics

Well that was a surprise.....

OTT_B 11:30 24 Mar 2016
Answered

I've finally got round to doing some PC maintenance, clearing out junk, unused software and archiving photos. Part of this was to try and stop Adobe Creative Cloud from asking me to update and install software, notably Photoshop, which I don't have......or as it turns out, I do!!

I have a monthly subscription for Lightroom (£8.50 ish) and thought that was all it paid for. It turns out that also gets me Photoshop, too!

I suppose I could look at it in terms of over-paying for Lightroom, but the monthly cost of £8.50 to have Lightroom continuously updated to latest version is absolutely fine by me, so Photoshop is then a bonus on top.

Anyone else had a hidden surprise in something you've paid for?

But then I should ask.....any recommended tutorials for Photoshop out there?!!?? Haven't a clue how to use it!

Forum Editor 11:39 24 Mar 2016

Take a look at this.

There are lots more - Google is your friend.

hssutton 14:07 24 Mar 2016
Answer

Welcome to the world of Photoshop, The basics are simple so just get stuck in. Layers may be your major stumbling block, so have a look here Photoshop layers also Lynda.com can be invaluable and a lot of it is free lynda.com. If you have a problem the web is full of info on photoshop.

BT 17:50 24 Mar 2016

Digital Photo magazine has a CD with each issue with video tutorials which are mirrored in the magazine and they also have many others on their website

Video PS tutorials

BT 17:53 24 Mar 2016

Re previous link click on the Advice tab for the videox

OTT_B 18:13 24 Mar 2016

Thanks to all for the links. I'll have a look. Guess I could use a project to work on to get to know the software. Best get on with the photo archiving!

bumpkin 19:20 24 Mar 2016

Anyone else had a hidden surprise in something you've paid for?

Plenty but only bad ones.

hssutton 19:46 24 Mar 2016

Just a small point on buying PC mags,. you will spend a small fortune on mags, when it's all free on the Web. On the have you had a surprise. Months ago I lost a valuable add-on to Photoshop. This was the Nik Collection an 'Add On' to Pkotoshop supplied by Google. On an early update to Win 10 I lost this program. Contacting Google they said they had no details of my ever buying it. So far mainly due to winter I've not got around to re-purchasing the program. Imagine my delight when two days ago I emailed google regarding the Nik Collection which is on special offer in the States. Low and behold they sent me the full program. In case you are interested this is an excellent add-on to Photoshop and also Lightroom and is downloadable as a trial

hssutton 20:11 25 Mar 2016

Would you like another suprise Google are giving away Nik Software it initialy cost over £100 and you can now have it for free as a plug-in for Photoshop and Lightroom. It'a plug-in that's so good there;s no way i would be without it. Nik Software

Aitchbee 22:21 25 Mar 2016

I was pleasantly surprised when I bought some discs at Barnardo's. One was Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 with serial number. 10 items for £4.90 special offer currently in all of their outlets. [Glasgow]

exdragon 09:03 26 Mar 2016

Re tutorials: log into Adobe TV and look for Julieanne Kost (or just Google her name). She does marvellous short videos on all aspects of Photoshop (and Lightroom).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixelbook Go review

Diversity Matters more than ever in illustration

Apple doubles price of MacBook Pro RAM upgrade

French Days 2020 : dates, sites participants & bons plans