And this week's food scare is...

Quickbeam 07:07 23 Jan 2017

TOAST!

I've had well browned toast for breakfast and as a quick hungry snack ever since I can remember. What with that and only using butter, I suppose that I should get my affairs in order...

bumpkin 17:58 23 Jan 2017

* I wanted to be cremated but apparently that will be bad for my health.*

Certainly will if you are still alive:-)

lotvic 22:26 23 Jan 2017

bumpkin, I will come back and haunt you. No, make that 'I will come back and taunt you' >:P

Forum Editor 22:36 23 Jan 2017

The point about all these advisory messages is that they have to be notified to the population, once there is any evidence to support them. If they were not publicised, there would be an outcry when it was shown that people had developed cancer, or some other serious illness as a result of doing whatever it is that could be harmful.

It is up to each of us to decide whether we take any notice or not, but parents of young children and/or grandparents surely have a duty of care which makes it important for them to set an example to a new generation.

lotvic 23:01 23 Jan 2017

As a child I was always given the burnt bits and told it would make my hair curl - it didn't work.

Brumas 23:02 23 Jan 2017

Forum Editor, but parents of young children and/or grandparents surely have a duty of care which makes it important for them to set an example to a new generation.. wise words indeed.

Quickbeam 07:40 24 Jan 2017

Right here we go it's breakfast time again...

1x shredded wheat, 2x toasted doorsteps dripping in butter & honey & 1x Columbian coffee. I'm livin' on the edge today!

morddwyd 09:06 24 Jan 2017

I agree with the FE, this is a "hardy annual" and comes out every time some researcher(s) wants a bit of publicity for their pet project.

I have been eating my starchy foods, and my roasts, bacon, sausages, steaks, pies and pastries on the charcoal side of well done for kigh on eighty years.

I'm not saying it's done me no harm, but it's a bit late to start worrying about it now!

canarieslover 11:53 24 Jan 2017

Today they are telling me I have to give up biscuits and baby food. What's left for me? I am getting more convinced that researchers reach a conclusion first and then decide on the data they need to justify the conclusion. They need to do that to make sure their grants and sponsorship keep coming. It's getting like the boy who kept calling "wolf", in the end nobody believed him.

Forum Editor 12:46 24 Jan 2017

"I am getting more convinced that researchers reach a conclusion first and then decide on the data they need to justify the conclusion."

I can see why you might think that, but research papers are subject to a peer review process, and that tends to reveal any attempt to misinterpret or manipulate the data before research papers are published.

wee eddie 15:29 24 Jan 2017

One of the problems, as I see it anyway, is that Researchers are mostly Grant Funded and the size of their Grant is related to the success of the paper that they have published and the Press Coverage that that Paper receives.

Therefor, it is in their interest to give their Paper a catchy Title and, as with all the best books/novels, the first sentence/paragraph sells the product.

Cynical, moi!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S10 review: Hands-on

From Haiku to Hokusai: How a new puzzle game was inspired by ancient Japanese art

Best free iPhone games 2019

Les meilleurs forfaits mobiles à moins de 20 €