The wearing of poppies ... ...

Quickbeam 08:21 13 Nov 2016

Enamel poppies, bejeweled poppies, silk poppies, discrete button poppies, and on BBC Breakfast just now someone with a poppy the size of a sunflower, matching shade of lippy and a gaudy red baubles necklace...

Doesn't the simple British Legion paper poppy count for the simplest act of annual remembrance anymore?

morddwyd 09:25 13 Nov 2016

I'm afraid the Legion is guilty too.

I made my usual contribution at a Legion poppy "event" at my local supermarket and was told "Oh for that much you can have one of these" and was offered a larger and gaudier affair.

I must confess to being rather short, saying I was not bargaining for a poppy, just remembering friends.

Sapins 10:27 13 Nov 2016

Next year Poppy Wreaths!

Old Deuteronomy 10:52 13 Nov 2016

I never actually wear a poppy but, I do buy one every year. I have been wondering about how many of the fancy poppies are actually sold by the British Legion or, sold by others with the money not necessarily going to the Legion.

Forum Editor 11:09 13 Nov 2016

Surely what matters is that people remember those who died in wars, rather than what their poppy looks like?

The enamelled brooches that people have worn mostly come from M&S, who donate all profits to The British Legion - £4.50 for every poppy sold.

BT 13:13 13 Nov 2016

"Oh for that much you can have one of these" and was offered a larger and gaudier affair.

Similar thing happened when I bought my Poppy. I declined and said 'No I'll just have an ordinary one', He did give me one of the small enamel ones though which I tend to wear all year round on my outdoor coat.

The enamelled brooches that people have worn mostly come from M&S

I beg to differ on that point. All sorts of places sell them and variuations, including a well known shopping channel and many independent jewellry outlets who make only a small token contribution to the British Legion, while making a good profit for themselves.

We discussed this last year on here and the way I see it is that many of the buyers of these jewellry items see them as just that and it will be a one off purchase to be pulled out every year without any further contribution being made, which rather defeats the object of the appeal.

I'm much happier making my annual contribution of the folding kind for a basic poppy.

bumpkin 13:35 13 Nov 2016

Most of the money is stolen anyway.

wee eddie 13:55 13 Nov 2016

I have two Poppies

One is knitted and sold to me for a tenner, on condition that I put a similar amount in the Box, each year that I use it.

The other is ceramic and fixes to the inside of my Taxi's windscreen. I shan't say what the initial cost was and I have no idea how much was donated to the Haig Fund, but the annual agreement is very similar.

Quickbeam 15:25 13 Nov 2016

It was purely the fact that the woman being interviewed on TV obviously more interested in the fashion aspect than the thought that prompted me.

Believe me this poppy was as big as her face!

I probably end up buying a dozen every year as I go out with different jackets on and find I have to buy another...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:54 13 Nov 2016

Reasons for wearing a Poppy:

1. Because its expected
  2. Its fashionable
  3. To show respect

Unfortunately I've probably posted the reasons in order for today's society.

john bunyan 16:52 13 Nov 2016

I also wear 2 poppies; a normal one from poppy sellers and a small metal one from my old unit, the proceeds of which go to their charity. ( SBSA)

Went to a parade today and thought of lost comrades and all fallen including my father KIA 1943

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Amy Cesal's Play-Doh infographics bring fun and colour to datavis

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Modifier un PDF : les meilleurs éditeurs PDF