We hear quite a bit about the down side of using our forum....

Forum Editor 17:29 01 Sep 2013
Answered

and I wondered if, by way of a change, any of you might like to tell about any good memories you have of your time with us.

Over the years we have had many chances to laugh, to share good wishes at that particular time, and to talk about our feelings when national or global disasters have struck.

There must be some good memories or experiences, surely? I know for a fact that two people got married as a result of meeting via the forum.

Woolwell 16:06 02 Sep 2013

I posted a thread in helproom recently thanking everyone because through reading other posts I knew how to remove the police scam/virus from a family computer.

I am constantly impressed by the patience shown to some of the people asking questions. A very similar question can be asked time and time again and it is dealt with politely. The same with those who clearly haven't looked things up for themselves or read the manual.

Jwbjnwolf 20:00 02 Sep 2013

Woolwell, you certainly got that correct about the patience even if the question has been asked billions of times.

I'm pretty sure that when I first started out on here, that a lot guessed I hadn't read the terms due to me posting threads titled like "HELP!" "PLEASE HELP" "REALLY URGENT" etc. and it states in the terms, that that isn't at all helpful or welcoming, but I ain't had the FE or anyone attack at me saying I am breaking the rules, I just had other users explain that thread titles like that aren't helpful, and I had another explain why CAPS are not nice.

And I just remembered, Me and my "Scrap Windows, get Linux!!!!" posts xD.

"Get Linux scrap windows mate or at least use virtualbox to install windows as a virtual os You'll be glad Take a look at 'windows vs linux' in google images and see why windows keep breaking."

That was my very very first post on PCA. Omgosh, I forgot all about that xD.

And the I was then wanting the FE to remove those posts, which I'm glad didn't happen as xD that's really nice to look at just how much I've matured since then.

And then I was recommending to flycatcher1 about a truck driving game I like (Euro Truck Simulator) on his thread about MS Flight Sim, and flycatcher1 replied with "Do the lorries have wings?". XD. And then poor Pine Man tried to test the Demo out, he started it, then had dinner, and came back to see that his one hour trial had ran out xD. Hope you got to play the game in the end dude, it's been almost three years so if you haven't got around to there better be a good excuse for it xD

How I was at the start though, I seemed like a kid, (in my opinion I feel I seemed like a 11 year old), although I was trying to help and I was convinced I was helping.

And the FE etc kept me on, they didn't ban me, although I know dozens of other places that certainly would of banned me that's for sure. 1]: [click here 2]: [click here

exdragon 20:19 02 Sep 2013

AroundAgain (aka Julie) - well, that's at least two of us! Sounds as if I have a few years on you, but in my head I'm still a dolly bird...sighs for the olden days.

Seriously, there's so much information here, including stuff you didn't know you needed to know. All overseen by the (usually) benevolent FE, of course!

Jwbjnwolf 22:59 02 Sep 2013

Damn, reading through some more of my old posts, I really really do sound grumpy indeed:

[i am getting so bored with windows. they do not offer much stuff apart from making it nicer and nicer looking and that means better and better pcs are needed all the time I am planning to save up for a top of the range apple imac. If i need to ever get a new pc in years to come and if i still cannot afford an imac, i would like to get a desktop pc with linux preinstalled. I would want to make sure that it is 4gb ram minimum and 500gb hdd if not 1tb at the minimum. what i would then do is run windows under virtualbox (virtually) so i can still play games. But that is if i am nowhere near being able to afford a top of the range all in one imac (hopefully touchscreen by that time) Windows i would say that your not getting what you are paying for. macintosh, they are costy but you do get what you are paying for. linux, well it's up to you to decide how you think it is Me I would say it is the best value for money £0.00. If only it were -£50.00 or going higher into the negatives. you would be gaining money LOL!! That sure is one way of encouraging people to get linux.LOL!!]1

It's hilarious looking back at stuff you've said sometimes from years ago xD

1]: [click here

Jwbjnwolf 23:00 02 Sep 2013

Ok so that didn't work then, oh well

AroundAgain 23:47 02 Sep 2013

Hi

john bunyan - What a charmer, eh? However, I'm certainly no 'Dolly Bird' nowadays but it did make me chuckle ;) Many thanks for that.

exdragon - Yippee! Another of the fairer sex, brilliant. We'll just have to stick together, won't we. Sounds like you'll have to represent the Dolly Birds though - I can't compete with that these days ... !!! ;)

There are possibly more females that realised - our forum 'names' don't always give it away (sometimes for a reason ...)

However, it's fun trying to guess when reading how the post is written but clearly not a reliable method. Ha Ha Ha

Forum Editor 08:21 03 Sep 2013

"There are possibly more females that realised"

There are.

uggly 09:26 03 Sep 2013

This old duffer has been around under different names for the past seven years of computer ownnership. In the early days, and coming to computers quite late in life as I had - 52&2/3rds - I was forever asking questions about computer security, backups etc. It was thanks to the many that I now have a relatively good working knowledge of a desktop I call Bessie and a laptop I call Freddie.

My favourite light-hearted posts many years ago were of bus-stops and bus-shelters in Scotland which had been decorated and some which had proper sofas on them. This is one such recent link about bus-shelters. click here hope a little humour and fun is still the order of the day in amongst the more serious sides of life. I for one have always been pleased to be a PCA member, and my new edition plopped onto my doormat yesterday as well.

Keep up the good and great work fellow PCA'ers!

I

Jwbjnwolf 17:38 03 Sep 2013

Don't remind me about buses please I'm begging xD.

One of the main (3 lane) one way roads into town where all the buses go was closed off today, which is just causing absolute mayhem because the buses and all the traffic is having to divert around down a two way (2 lane like a normal road). Just mayhem. I was waiting for two hours for my bus to get out of town, and when it came, I had to squeeze in and stand right at the door of the bus. And then all of a sudden we stopped off for all the school kids, so yea, I think you can just imagine how cramped we all were. Must have been 20 people on the bus over the maximum amount. The drivers just couldn't be bothered to waste time with the money, due to being so worn out, and so late and being such a hot day, they last thing we wanted to do was about 5 of us keep getting off just so the people entering can pay.

The company has their double deckers out when they have breakdowns, when they aren't taken advantage of, but then when they really could do with them like today, you wonder where on earth they are.

None of the bus companies were even told about there'd be road works which would bring the whole damn central part of the town to a grinding halt. Not even the bus company owned by the council who are doing the roadworks, and they fact that the schools are back, well, that brings no surprise. They always have to bring the whole UK to a halt because of roadworks as soon as the schools are back.

And I walked up that road, and they only just had taken up the Tarmac, let alone even start on laying the new Tarmac, so how they expect to be finished and all packed up by tomorrow is beyond me.

What a day, so please no one remind me of buses for a while xD :P

Jwbjnwolf 17:48 03 Sep 2013

BBC must be having a laugh. I searched google about the roadworks, and the webpage showing all roadworks in my area, umm, it mentions nothing about that road, and it says "no disruption to public transport". Umm, I think I damn well know when our buses are being disrupted BBC xD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Best of the Grad Shows 2018: Middlesex University art, illustration and graphic design

Best Mac tips, tricks and timesavers

Comment identifier le modèle de son iPad ?