We hear a lot about accountability these days.

Forum Editor 09:09 29 May 2017

Does anyone agree with my feeling that there should be some serious internal accountability for this weekend's British Airways IT fiasco?

Quickbeam 12:49 29 May 2017

The new virtual air traffic control tower was in the news last week that is centrally controlled from Swanwick.

They presented us with dozens of 'experts' to reassure us that it is the most tested and secure system in existence, yet it is reported that the software has been plagued by teething problems.

I think I'd sooner rely on a man in a tower on site for when the inevitable system failure occurs!

bumpkin 15:31 29 May 2017

* there should be some serious internal accountability for this weekend's British Airways IT fiasco?*

AKA Find a scapegoat.

x123 15:47 29 May 2017

Quickbeam

Just the point I was about to raise, but you beat me to it.

I remember in the early days of computing that it was advisable to have a UPS system in case of power cuts. You would think a large company would have something that would cut in till mains power was restored. It does sound strange and you do wonder if the real reason is something else.

Old Deuteronomy 16:43 29 May 2017

I'm amazed they didn't have adequate back-up/fail-safe systems in place to enable the business to continue to function, especially considering how important computer systems are to an airline.

wee eddie 17:35 29 May 2017

Apparently there was a Surge.

I have a Surge Protector, I'm surprised that they weren't covered in a similar way

bumpkin 19:00 29 May 2017

Apparently there was a Surge.

If that is true then it beggars belief that they had no protection in place even I have that for something of little consequence.

Quickbeam 19:03 29 May 2017

Well the CE won't be the scapegoat.

Cue a minion's head on the block...

morddwyd 20:11 29 May 2017

If your senior management, customer service and IT are all outsourced, there's not much accountability readily available!

wee eddie 22:14 29 May 2017

It is unlikely that today's CEO made the decision that made the current scenario a possibility.

The perpetrator is long gone

Burn-it 22:42 29 May 2017

and IT are all outsourced, there's not much accountability readily available!

That is the problem. It is NOT that here isn't back up power, it is that there is NO staff immediately available with the knowledge to restore the systems. I know that when I worked on mainframe systems, even without massive power failures and outsourcing of support, there very few nights that I was allowed to sleep through.

I was even collected from my wife's hospital bedside when she was in labour on one occasion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7 Pro review

Explore unseen concept art from Isle of Dogs with Wes Anderson character designer Félicie Haymoz

iPhone XR 2019 release date, price & specs rumours

Comment faire une sauvegarde de son PC ?