We have been focusing on the wrong problem

wee eddie 09:11 07 Aug 2019

This place is like a Committee.

Over the last week, or so, we have been bickering over the How's & Why's of Logging In/Out, caused by the latest Site reorganisation.

While we totally failed to focus on the removal of the Forum Button from the Red Top Bar. The Forum has now been side-lined and will, in the course of time, wither of its own accord.

Sorry China, as IDG Management has decreed, both your job and the Forum's existence, are now terminal

HondaMan 10:27 07 Aug 2019

Can't say I'm surprised this site, generally, seems to have been going downhill for some time.

Belatucadrus 10:45 07 Aug 2019

Reducing forum access to a concealed line on a drop down menu simply headed somewhat cryptically "More" does seem to indicate that the forum is now VERY low on Tech Advisors agenda. wee eddie may be right.

Old Deuteronomy 12:08 07 Aug 2019

I've been a member since, I think, 2004. It's sad to think you may all be right.

roger.roger 14:16 07 Aug 2019

Sorry China, as IDG Management has decreed, both your job and the Forum's existence, are now terminal

Sorry I don't visit to often, now. Have I missed something or is this sarcasm?

john bunyan 14:37 07 Aug 2019

China was FE’s old “Handle “. I hope the forum thrives ; the site seems fine now on my IPhone. There should be a Forum button , I agree. Let’s be a cup half full group and support it in the hope of a revival.

Forum Editor 20:12 07 Aug 2019

HondaMan

"..this site, generally, seems to have been going downhill for some time."

I can recall people posting much the same opinion at pretty regular intervals over the past 20 years, yet here we are.

Nothing like a positive attitude.

Forum Editor 20:22 07 Aug 2019

"The Forum has now been side-lined and will, in the course of time, wither of its own accord."

It has not been sidelined, and it will only wither if people don't want to contribute. The changes we've made are a response to changing traffic statistics, and we may decide to make further changes in the coming weeks/months.

"Sorry China, as IDG Management has decreed, both your job and the Forum's existence, are now terminal"

Thanks for the insight. I'll continue yo do what I do, and it would be great to think that all of you will do so as well. We have all survived a number of ups and downs over time, despite the doom-laden predictions that inevitably greet any change. As Alan Bennett might say, let's keep on keeping on.

Quickbeam 08:51 08 Aug 2019

My view for a a while is that the format is now an old and very obsolete forum format. Younger contributors see it as an old fogies format forum!

Quickbeam 08:52 08 Aug 2019

...and that doesn't sound very good an appraisal for a cutting edge tech site.

HondaMan 09:22 08 Aug 2019

Nothing like a positive attitude

I agree, but this latest change doers nothing to help and in looking at the general views expressed in both topics many others seem to agree.
The site designers have made more difficult access to what is probably the most used area of the site, i.e. the forums

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the Huawei Mate 30 launch live: Munich, September 19

Create live VFX

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Comparatif : Apple Watch Series 5 vs Series 4