We all seem to have become desensitised

Forum Editor 09:37 15 Feb 2018

to mass shootings in America - so much so, that yet another horrific incident at a school hasn't yet been mentioned here.

Donald Trump has sent his usual condolences and prayers to those who have lost loved ones, and Florida Senator Marco Rubio has trotted out the - by now familiar - statement that it is too soon to tell whether tighter gun control laws would have prevented such an outrage.

Donald Trump is on record as saying that his promise to gun-owning Americans is that he will "never, ever" do anything to threaten the second amendment. Pressure will mount, however and it will be interesting to see if it has any real effect. Increasing numbers of American citizens are realising that something has to be done to stop the awful tide of mass killings in their country.

If you take the American Gun violence archive's definition, a mass shooting is any incident in which four or more people are shot by a single person in the same location at the same time. That being the case, there were 307 mass shootings in America in 2017 alone and the five worst incidents in American history have all occurred in the past ten years.

Something is quite obviously going seriously wrong, and it doesn't take a genius to work out that easy access to guns is at the bottom of it. A gun can turn a normally weak, ineffectual person with a grudge into a killing machine and there is never a shortage of such people in any society. In this context the only difference between America and most other countries is that any American over the age of 18 can buy a shotgun or rifle simply by filling in a form. A short phone call to carry out a background check ensues, and the gun is handed over. Children younger than 18 may possess guns that were given to them by parents or guardians as gifts, provided that they have written permission.

Some States allow handguns to be carried openly on the streets or in cars without permits of any kind.

To most of us, it is incomprehensible but in America it is considered a fundamental right and that is the huge problem facing advocates of stricter gun control laws.

Belatucadrus 09:26 22 Feb 2018

The problem with this armed teachers idea would appear to be that as the Mass shooters are students that they know and in general look much the same as all the other students. To be an effective solution these armed teachers need to be ready at any time to kill one or more of their pupils. Now call me an old fuddy duddy but this doesn't seem like much of a recommendation. Take into consideration the Black lives matter issue, the consequences of a teacher killing a student from another ethnicity could be horrendous.

BT 09:30 22 Feb 2018

I've been involved in a Facebook discussion with an American acquaintance and a number of her friends and family over the past couple of days.She is a Mother and Grandmother and is vehemently anti-gun. Her son is pro-gun as is his friends.

The attitude is "I have to have a gun if so-and-so has a gun so that I can protect myself and Family from him".

Forum Editor 14:00 22 Feb 2018

"I have to have a gun if so-and-so has a gun so that I can protect myself and Family from him".

That, in a nutshell, illustrates the problem. There's something very wrong with a society where, in 2018 its citizens feel they have to protect themselves from each other with guns.

Quickbeam 14:52 22 Feb 2018

The sentiment expressed by Belatucadrus is starkly true.

Also would the teachers that are prepared to carry arms also prepared to wear flack jackets all day, because if the teachers become the primary armed counter shooters, they also become the primary target for the first shot.

bumpkin 15:18 22 Feb 2018

Why not give all the pupils guns then the deranged aggressor could soon be dealt with. The mind boggles.

Quickbeam 15:28 22 Feb 2018

bumpkin

That would become known as the 'Gunfight At The OK Coral' syndrome!

bumpkin 16:35 22 Feb 2018

* 'Gunfight At The OK Coral'*

Substitute College for Coral and you are my point:-)

Quickbeam 16:38 22 Feb 2018

Doesn't sound too OK to me!

Belatucadrus 16:48 22 Feb 2018

Staff meeting at Trump Junior High school.

Quickbeam 17:18 22 Feb 2018

Lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Photoshop for iPad is finally out – but what do designers think?

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Motorola Razr (2019) : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique