Hot Topics

We all seem to have become desensitised

Forum Editor 09:37 15 Feb 2018

to mass shootings in America - so much so, that yet another horrific incident at a school hasn't yet been mentioned here.

Donald Trump has sent his usual condolences and prayers to those who have lost loved ones, and Florida Senator Marco Rubio has trotted out the - by now familiar - statement that it is too soon to tell whether tighter gun control laws would have prevented such an outrage.

Donald Trump is on record as saying that his promise to gun-owning Americans is that he will "never, ever" do anything to threaten the second amendment. Pressure will mount, however and it will be interesting to see if it has any real effect. Increasing numbers of American citizens are realising that something has to be done to stop the awful tide of mass killings in their country.

If you take the American Gun violence archive's definition, a mass shooting is any incident in which four or more people are shot by a single person in the same location at the same time. That being the case, there were 307 mass shootings in America in 2017 alone and the five worst incidents in American history have all occurred in the past ten years.

Something is quite obviously going seriously wrong, and it doesn't take a genius to work out that easy access to guns is at the bottom of it. A gun can turn a normally weak, ineffectual person with a grudge into a killing machine and there is never a shortage of such people in any society. In this context the only difference between America and most other countries is that any American over the age of 18 can buy a shotgun or rifle simply by filling in a form. A short phone call to carry out a background check ensues, and the gun is handed over. Children younger than 18 may possess guns that were given to them by parents or guardians as gifts, provided that they have written permission.

Some States allow handguns to be carried openly on the streets or in cars without permits of any kind.

To most of us, it is incomprehensible but in America it is considered a fundamental right and that is the huge problem facing advocates of stricter gun control laws.

oresome 21:09 15 Feb 2018

The point is Menzie, they are not infrequent, but happening with increasing regularity, so much so that it's ceasing to be news.

bumpkin 21:44 16 Feb 2018

It is the Yank mentality, I am not sure who is in my bathroom so I will fire 6 shots through the door first.

Quickbeam 22:25 16 Feb 2018

That's the South African mentality bumpkin!

On the serious side, high school kids in America are now calling for gun restrictions.

bumpkin 13:04 17 Feb 2018

Let's not split hairs over a few miles:-)

Devil Fish 01:03 18 Feb 2018

The huge problem facing advocates of change is the NRA have politicians in their back pocket mainly republican,But none the less those politicians that recieve donations from the NRA are not going to rock the boat,so the status quo remains.almost boils down to how many dollars is a life worth.

Cymro. 16:28 18 Feb 2018

I have cut and pasted this from the Twitter account of T.V. journalist Jon Snow. There is probably a better way of doing it but I thought the statistics would be of interest.

the number of school shootings that have happened since the year 2000 around the world: ENGLAND: 0 GREECE: 1 NETHERLANDS: 1 SPAIN: 1 INDIA: 1 ARGENTINA: 1 RUSSIA: 1 CHINA: 3 MEXICO: 4 AUSTRALIA: 5 CANADA: 5 GERMANY: 5 SOUTH AFRICA: 5 USA 212

chub_tor 20:45 18 Feb 2018

Quickbeam On the serious side, high school kids in America are now calling for gun restrictions.

And there you have the best hope for change. For if anyone can force a change in this gun ownership mentality it will be the schoolchildren. With their demonstrations, refusal to attend school or college they might just get their elders to think again about their attitude towards gun ownership.

bumpkin 21:16 18 Feb 2018

* I thought the statistics would be of interest.*

Tells me a lot, shame the yanks can't see it.

Devil Fish 00:00 20 Feb 2018

I thought the statistics would be of interest.*

Tells me a lot, shame the yanks can't see it.

Blinded by dollars going into the funds.Obama if memory serves me correct tried to change gun controls and got voted down.By err lets say politicians favourable to the NRA.The Repuplicans need to look at themselves The Nra need to look at themselves and say enough is enough.But sadly it will not happen.How much are 19 school shootings worth in 2018 and we havent reached march yet,around $30 million dollars apperntly.

john bunyan 10:50 20 Feb 2018

Trump makes a token gesture of looking at how people with mental issues could have greater scrutiny before purchase. No one will make radical changes to a society that owns more guns than the population size, but if the youth and voters concentrated on one issue at a time, maybe, just maybe, a bit of progress could be made. Assault rifles and automatic sub machine guns for a start. The most ardent hunter should be quite happy with a bolt action rifle. Also large calibre (such as .50mm) rifles are not needed.

A MAC 10 or M16 has no place in hunting.

Odds on nothing will happen, as Obama found out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola teases 9 September phone event, likely for new Razr

Best art and design exhibitions still happening in 2020

New leak sets out Apple Watch, iPad, and iPhone 12 launch dates

Les meilleures batteries externes (2020)