We all seem to have become desensitised

Forum Editor 09:37 15 Feb 2018

to mass shootings in America - so much so, that yet another horrific incident at a school hasn't yet been mentioned here.

Donald Trump has sent his usual condolences and prayers to those who have lost loved ones, and Florida Senator Marco Rubio has trotted out the - by now familiar - statement that it is too soon to tell whether tighter gun control laws would have prevented such an outrage.

Donald Trump is on record as saying that his promise to gun-owning Americans is that he will "never, ever" do anything to threaten the second amendment. Pressure will mount, however and it will be interesting to see if it has any real effect. Increasing numbers of American citizens are realising that something has to be done to stop the awful tide of mass killings in their country.

If you take the American Gun violence archive's definition, a mass shooting is any incident in which four or more people are shot by a single person in the same location at the same time. That being the case, there were 307 mass shootings in America in 2017 alone and the five worst incidents in American history have all occurred in the past ten years.

Something is quite obviously going seriously wrong, and it doesn't take a genius to work out that easy access to guns is at the bottom of it. A gun can turn a normally weak, ineffectual person with a grudge into a killing machine and there is never a shortage of such people in any society. In this context the only difference between America and most other countries is that any American over the age of 18 can buy a shotgun or rifle simply by filling in a form. A short phone call to carry out a background check ensues, and the gun is handed over. Children younger than 18 may possess guns that were given to them by parents or guardians as gifts, provided that they have written permission.

Some States allow handguns to be carried openly on the streets or in cars without permits of any kind.

To most of us, it is incomprehensible but in America it is considered a fundamental right and that is the huge problem facing advocates of stricter gun control laws.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:51 15 Feb 2018

and wee have the same problem with kids carrying knives or other deadly weapons into schools

click here

Yes i believe we have become desensitised to mass killings and injuries propablybecause of the way it's handled by the press / news media.

Belatucadrus 09:55 15 Feb 2018

it doesn't take a genius to work out that easy access to guns is at the bottom of it.

This is a very un American way of looking at it, unfortunately there are a significant number of Americans who take the view that the children were victims because they were unarmed and the only safe campus is one where everybody has a gun. Add to that the lunatic fringe who will decide that this is fake news and a dastardly liberal plot to erode their gun toting privileges and the industrial combine that wields its protectionist muscle via the NRA.

I think it's safe to say that there will be some platitudes, may prayers to Gaahd but no actual concrete action of any kind.

oresome 10:24 15 Feb 2018

hasn't yet been mentioned here

What is there to say that hasn't been said already?

John Sopel on last night's news that it was the umpteenth such incident in America this year and we are only mid way through February.

Al94 11:16 15 Feb 2018

Some interesting stats here

daz60 12:17 15 Feb 2018

Unfortunately in American eye's more guns equal greater safety,until/unless that governing opinion changes then the status quo will remain.

Quickbeam 13:08 15 Feb 2018

Well it is only another American school massacre is it not. They like have one every now and then...

Well we can hardly not be desensitised can we? The American politicians won't even open serious dialogue over tightening gun ownership rules up, so why should we be shocked!

john bunyan 13:26 15 Feb 2018

I heard the news but refrained from starting a thread since , as FE says, these incidents have become so frequent that we are, indeed, becoming desensitised. Obviously the victims family will be devastated, but nothing will happen, as usual. Nothing will shake the belief in the 2nd amendment in a majority of Americans. Obama tried and failed to get small changes, and Trump certainly won’t even try, so we can only look on with amazement at the cultural differences between us.

Forum Editor 17:07 15 Feb 2018

"Well we can hardly not be desensitised can we? The American politicians won't even open serious dialogue over tightening gun ownership rules up, so why should we be shocked!"

I wasn't making an accusation - it was simply an observation, and a comment on the way that a society can rapidly become so used to incidents like this that they are no longer a topic of conversation. In a very short time, the story will no longer be newsworthy - we will all move on to something else.

It's a sad situation, but I suppose it's just an inevitable symptom of the way we are nowadays.

BT 18:11 15 Feb 2018

To put things into perspective an American friend of ours of many years standing posted the following on her Facebook page today...

When will gun violence become personal for a majority of Americans? The answer to this problem is two-fold. Massive outreach from mental health and GUN CONTROL! And if you argue with me about gun control, I will be silent AND add you to my list of people that love their guns more than their children.

Flak999 19:18 15 Feb 2018

Nothing will change, can you imagine if by some miracle the second amendment right to bear arms was rescinded and every gun owning citizen was required by a new federal law to hand in their weapons? there would be total anarchy on the streets, all the red necks and good old boys that have an armoury in their basement would be waiting for law enforcement locked and loaded!

There are approximately 133 million firearms in private hands in America, just how would you ever collect all of them?

It won't happen!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

Adobe's groundbreaking prototypes of new features and apps for Creative Cloud

When is the next Apple event?

Les meilleurs VPN gratuits (2018)