Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink.

Cymro. 12:35 11 Feb 2018

BBC link

London is ninth on this list of cities most likely to run out of drinking water. I suppose we shouldn't be all that surprised as London like all major cities in the world has to an ever increasing demand. Everyone seems concerned about fossil fuels running out but much less so about a commodity that is I think you will agree even more important. So how about some suggestions as to how to solve a water shortage then.

john bunyan 12:56 11 Feb 2018

Graphene filters should be quickly progressed to commercial use. For one, of many, references see:

Graphene.

Desalination of sea water is used in submarines, by Israel and in many other locations. I have never understood why countries like Australia do not have huge solar panel arrays producing electricity for large scale desalination, even with existing technology. We are surrounded by the sea , so that is the obvious source of water. Cost, of course, will be the issue.

1]: [click here

john bunyan 12:57 11 Feb 2018

You like the BBC for references so :

BBC

Aitchbee 13:21 11 Feb 2018

On a more mundane level, I've got into the habit of using a 4.5 litre capacity plastic mixing-bowl [placed in the wash-hand basin] to wash my hands after using the toilet or whenever I want to wash my hands. So instead of letting the waste water go down the plug-hole in the sink, it can be collected and used to flush the toilet.

john bunyan 15:42 11 Feb 2018

All new houses should have several tanks; one to collect rain water for cold water to baths (non drinking) etc; one to collect bath water that is then used for toilet flush, so only "black / toilet" waste goes to sewage.

wee eddie 16:03 11 Feb 2018

It has been predicted that the next World War will be fought over Water Rights and I think that North Africa and the Middle East are prime candidates

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:18 11 Feb 2018

Not been a particularly dry winter and I'm on the wrong side of the Pennies for the most precipitation.

Where does Manchester stand n the list? Its always supposed to be raining there :0)

VCR97 18:47 11 Feb 2018

Manchester rain

click here

Forum Editor 18:31 12 Feb 2018

Water resources are under considerable pressure, as we live our 21st century lives.

I was in Kenya a few years ago, and I discovered how serious the problem can become. We visited a huge lake to see flamingos, and as we drove around the perimeter we saw what looked like a wooden jetty about 100 yards from the water's edge. When I asked our guide what it was he said that it was indeed a jetty - he said he used to dive in from it when he was a teenager. Persistent water abstraction for crop irrigation was drastically lowering the lake's water level.

We are partly to blame because we import such large quantities of fruit and vegetables from Kenya - we are, in effect, importing huge quantities of Kenyan water. Drought made worse by global warming exacerbates the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

Adobe's groundbreaking prototypes of new features and apps for Creative Cloud

When is the next Apple event?

Test : le Samsung Galaxy A9