Watching TV, and walking the streets.......

Forum Editor 16:25 09 Mar 2019

these days I often find myself wondering whether I am one of the few men around who doesn't have a beard.

It seems to me that beards - particularly on younger men - have become a cultural symbol 'Look, I'm one of us, the trendy group. I have a beard, even if it looks a little silly on me'.

A while back, it was male pony tails and there are still a few die-hards- now bald on top.That looks silly too. And while I'm about it, what about the ageing hippy look - like that archeologist in the Time Team?

Forum Editor 18:20 12 Mar 2019

Nobody should take this too seriously, it certainly wasn't intended to offend anyone.

Last night I was channel hopping, and I watched a short item about people who have extreme body modifications - removal of most of the ear structure was one of them.

What a strange species we are.

qwbos 00:26 14 Mar 2019

Last night I was channel hopping

Always dangerous. There are some pretty weird things on the telly these days, few if any of which are attractive to all but, at best, a tiny minority. In our household, oversized lips and bizarre eyebrows - hairy caterpillars and asymetrics among others - come in for a lot of comment. I'm also somewhat intrigued by grossly over-sized breast implants. How do they stay up? Are they filled with helium?

Quickbeam 03:00 14 Mar 2019

They're self supporting as can be witnessed on the beach...

john bunyan 11:48 14 Mar 2019

In military days spent quite a time in Sarawak; met many tribes, Iban, Kenyah, Penan etc. Older ladies would have quite have quite heavy weights to elongate holes in earlobes.

Iban lady

Forum Editor 16:02 14 Mar 2019

john bunyan

I have a 1930's Sarawak banknote somewhere. I think my father picked it up when he made a flying (literally) visit. I also remember having lots of attractive Sarawak stamps, back in the days when stamp collecting was a thing.

qwbos 01:18 15 Mar 2019

They're self supporting as can be witnessed on the beach...

I'm referring to the monstrosities that resemble beach balls and appear to be gravity defying.

Quickbeam 04:55 15 Mar 2019

precisely!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPad Air (2019) review

Digital humans aren't just possible - they're essential in today's top games

iMac 27in (2019) review

Les bons plans appareils photos (2019)