Was my son a little naive?

hssutton 09:31 04 Aug 2017

Around midnight my son started to get a number of phone calls from the world media. A close family friend who lives in the very aptly named the 'Torch' Dubai videoed the fire and sent a copy to my son. Around midnight my son started to get these phonecalls asking permission to use the vidio to which he agreed. have no idea as yet how they got his phone number or knew he had the video.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:24 04 Aug 2017

Hope he asked for a fee?

Belatucadrus 11:28 04 Aug 2017

Does seem odd, unless there's been another the fire was back in February so it's not news and as your son didn't take the original video in the first place he's not the rights holder so can't actually give permission to use the clip anyway. Bizarre.

Belatucadrus 11:52 04 Aug 2017

My apologies, seems it's on fire again hssutton beat the news agencies to it.

Click Here

hssutton 13:40 04 Aug 2017

Fuit Bat, that is what I meant by being a little naive. No money involved.

Belatucadrus our friend was involved in the original fire as well, but was very luck as the fire hit the appartments to the left and right of him, but apart from smoke damage suffered no problems. We got a phone call around 10pm telling us about the fire with the video following about an hour later. At that point Dubai had put a freeze on videos being released, so I would have thought our friend could have made a little money out of the video. Too late now as high quality videos have been released.

Forum Editor 17:31 04 Aug 2017

Technically, your son didn't have the right to agree to anyone using the videos for broadcast - the copyright is vested in the person who made the recording.

hssutton 18:00 04 Aug 2017

FE under normal circumstances you are correct, but obviously you have no idea in this case.

Forum Editor 18:41 04 Aug 2017

hssutton

I was trying to be helpful - obviously it backfired with you. I realise that a family member sent the video to your son, but a broadcaster would (or should) always ensure that a person who agrees to supply video content for broadcast has the legal right to do so.

There have been many very unpleasant court cases over precisely this issue.

bumpkin 21:26 04 Aug 2017

Nobody would be expecting that in the middle of the night and have a team of lawyers around to clarify the situation in a very short time period.

Forum Editor 22:40 04 Aug 2017

bumpkin

It's routine procedure for broadcasters, whether it's the middle of the night or not. They will not broadcast video footage unless they check copyright first. Many of them have learnt to do that as a result of bitter experience.In this case, the Dubai authorities acted rapidly to block the unauthorised release of amateur footage.

Dubai authorities have previously experienced the distress that can be caused when unauthorised CCTV footage gets into the public domain. There was a case in June of this year when hackers started broadcasting footage from cameras installed in homes and offices on various websites. They had hacked into CCTV systems that hadn't been properly protected by inexpert installation engineers. The authorities acted to shut down the offending sites.

Smartphones are everywhere, and it's a certainty that any major incident is going to be recorded on dozens of phones. Intrusion of personal privacy is an ever present danger, and broadcasters have to be very careful about any footage that comes from amateurs.

morddwyd 09:11 05 Aug 2017

I would be more concerned with how they obtained the information and used my telephone number.

I might be writing to the Information Commissioner!

This would seem yo be a breach of privacy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Nvidia’s Gaugan tech turns simple colour blocks into realistic landscapes

New AirPods 2 launch: Release date, price, features & specs

AirPower : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique