Waiting in Line for a Product Launch

Menzie 18:52 03 Nov 2017

I've never understood it when people camp outside of a store or business eager to get their hands on something.

The latest iPhone launched and there were people lining up outside the store from yesterday.

This has been something that has happened with various tech devices, movies and more in the past. I remember people staying out all night for Windows 98.

Has anyone here ever done that? Perhaps you can shed some light on why.

I've never had any problems going into a store or online and buying something so far at my leisure, no matter how heavy the marketing or hype. Perhaps I have been fortunate?

Quickbeam 18:56 03 Nov 2017

Sados...

mikef. 19:19 03 Nov 2017

So they can sell them in their homelands at a profit before they are released their

Aitchbee 19:25 03 Nov 2017

I always make sure I've set my early morning alarm the night before if something I really want to own is on sale at Aldi or Lidl.

..."Once they're gone, they're gone." {until next year}

geoff96 19:51 03 Nov 2017

Aitchbee

So it is you that is clearing the shelves at Aldi. Every time I go the offers have gone.

bumpkin 21:18 03 Nov 2017

There are proffessional queuers who will do this for you if you are that desperate. Not for me though, rather wait untill it is easily available and cheaper. Just another marketing hype.

Forum Editor 22:31 03 Nov 2017

Early adopters - that's what they're called, and the technology industry loves them. They fuel the hype around a new product. There's no harm in it - lots of people love having that new iPhone on the day it's launched. Apple has perfected the technique of producing objects of desire, especially when it comes to phones.

qwbos 00:30 04 Nov 2017

Apple has perfected the technique of producing objects of desire, especially when it comes to phones.

Isn't austerity wonderful. No money, people moaning about a 0.25% rise in interest rates, yet they still queue to buy something they don't need and probably can't afford.

BT 08:53 04 Nov 2017

So it is you that is clearing the shelves at Aldi. Every time I go the offers have gone.

Had occasion to wait outside a Lidl store one day waiting for them to open, (Not for their offers I might add). There was a group of people with a large number of children who rushed into the store the moment the doors opened and stripped the centre aisle shelves of the offers. The children gathered up multiple items and waited for the adults to catch up with them. I can only assume that it was an organised 'raid' and that the items were going to be resold at Boot Fairs or the like.

Forum Editor 10:10 04 Nov 2017

octal

"Let the early adopters buy them and find out what the problems are..."

That's what most people do - they're the cautious adopters. A big interest of mine is photography, and earlier this year I attended the Photography show at the NEC. I saw dozens of people who couldn't wait to get their cards out to buy new cameras costing £1000 or more.

Early adopters - God's gift to the tech industry.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:54 04 Nov 2017

It reminds me of this

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Last Chance: Win an Honor Band 5

Acclaimed illustrator James Jean's comic book past gets celebrated in new book

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !