A vote in Parliament to trigger article 50

LastChip 11:44 03 Nov 2016

So, the legal profession has thrown a spanner in the works and said the government needs a vote in Parliament to trigger article 50.

Personally, I'm disgusted. The referendum question was clear, do we we leave the EU or stay. Leave won - that's it! It wasn't vague, it was made perfectly clear it was in or out.

Govan1x 11:55 17 Nov 2016

Nicolas Sarkozy ex French Prime Minister has already said that the EU has to change its rules and regulations.

I don't think anyone can argue with that but are they leaving it to late.

Like Maggie Thatcher most of those in charge of running the EU have the same outlook . We are not for change.

I think and probably everyone else thinks that there must be changes. Without change will the EU still be able to survive.

They have seen the UK voting to leave so they should be asking why instead of burying there heads in the sands hoping the problem will go away.

The people of the UK and the US have spoken with there election results that they want change. No doubt any elections in the EU may well get the same sort of results, so maybe time for the EU to come out with a new strategy. Methinks we will hear something from them before March. After March it maybe to late.

Forum Editor 12:07 17 Nov 2016

"The people of the UK and the US have spoken with there election results that they want change."

Nothing new in that - people always want change in a political sense. It's human nature to think that perhaps the grass will be greener on the other side. Change for change's sake isn't automatically a good thing however, sometimes the change turns out to be the wrong thing to do.

As far as the EU is concerned, it's pretty obvious that there is dissatisfaction on many levels. The truth is that the big surges of immigrants - both political and economic - have caused European electorates to veer to the right in political terms. We may see right-wing politicians coming to the fore in the next year or so, and that could have a profound effect on the structure of the EU, or even threaten its continued existence.

Govan1x 12:57 17 Nov 2016

Very eloquently put Forum Editor so much better than my humble effort.

The mumbling and grumbling from some European Countries are getting louder so maybe the EU will have to act sooner rather than later if they want to stop other countries from leaving.

They need reform and they need it soon I would say.

It will be interesting to see if they react at all.

LastChip 13:58 18 Nov 2016

I wouldn't hold your breath. They'll cling on to power with everything they've got until just like the Berlin Wall, it will crumble when you least expect it.

Nigel Farage was right when he told them, "you've got your heads buried in the sand".

The warning signs are so clear for everyone to see, but they seem blinkered, blind or both.

As far as I'm concerned, good riddance. Leaving can't come soon enough for me.

A dreadful waste of trillions of pounds of our hard earned money over the past 40 years. The only things that have been more wasteful are the two world wars, but at least we kept our freedom.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Photoshop for iPad is finally out – but what do designers think?

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Bon Plan Fnac : -35 % sur le PC Ultra-Portable Acer Swift 7 SF714-52T