Virtual PC anyone?

anskyber 17:40 25 Sep 2006

There are times when I would like to try new software, Office 2007 is such an example or even, dare I say Vista.

The perils of doing so need not be spelt out here, so I shall not go over the usual health warnings. Virtual PC seems to offer a way forward by protecting your original system and allowing experimentation with new things. A PC within a PC if you like. If I have got it right then a foul up of the virtual PC simply requires a deletion of the VPC and a reinstall to start again. There has got to be a catch and I am sure those with the expertise will keep me on the straight and narrow. Downloading VPC is free.

click here

powerless 18:56 25 Sep 2006

Whilst it's free, which is nice of course! IMO it is rubbish, it's slow, stupid UI, feature-less and it's slow again.

VMware is far better, it's FAST, save movies, Dual CPU support [can't remember if VPC has that]. "Snapshots" so no need to reinstall anything, just revert to the snapshot, a far greater UI oh and it's fast. I use the Workstation version but there is a free Server one. Plus VMware can open VPC's ;-)

A cheaper version is Parallels, which I don't use on Windows although I use it on my Mac and that is faster than Vmware IMO. [Well my Mac has a better spec than my PC].

But try VMware and you'll see how slow VPC is.

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo A9 2020 Review

The year's best animated short Hair Love is finally online

Mac Pro 2019 release date, price, features & specs

Cdiscount : la PS4 Pro 1 To + 5 jeux à moins de 400 €