Views on the budget - any losers?

john bunyan 10:18 30 Oct 2018
Answered

Although I gain a bit from the budget, I would have been happy to forego the income tax gain to get the fiscal deficit down quicker and get on with reducing our Debt of over 85% of GDP , rather than leaving it to our future generations. McDonnell would be more extreme. This seems like an election budget.

oresome 11:29 30 Oct 2018

I've gained from the increase in personal allowance.

The ISA allowance hasn't been increased.

Wine duty has increased

Capital Gains Tax allowance has increased

Not seen any mention of Inheritance Tax. The home residence allowance was due to increase for the next year or two.

Increases to the minimum wage and tax on on-line retailers and the falling pound are likely to push prices up eventually so overall I don't think I'll notice much difference.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:56 30 Oct 2018

Think I might be hit by the changes to the tax and NI contributions for self employed. Perhaps time to retire before the changes take place.

Quickbeam 11:58 30 Oct 2018

Plus £1.33

Neutral for me.

Forum Editor 13:49 30 Oct 2018

"This seems like an election budget."

It does, but the next election is not due until 2022.

It's an insurance budget - in case there's a vote of no confidence over Brexit.

john bunyan 14:15 30 Oct 2018

There might be an election if Parliament rejects the Brexit deal, whatever that is. Corbyn and McDonnell are all for that- their proposals to stay in the Cusoms Union and single market, effectively means no Brexit

wee eddie 15:15 30 Oct 2018

If Parliament rejects the Deal on the 29th.

We leave on the 29th, if the deal is rejected, it becomes "No Deal". No second choice

Govan1x 18:57 30 Oct 2018

Corbyn and McDonnell are all for that- their proposals to stay in the Cusoms Union and single market, effectively means no Brexit

Maybe so but but they are not silly. Vote against Brexit will cost them a lot of Voters who wanted to leave.

I for one would not vote for them again.

Basically with Labour and the Lib Dems they know that they probably have no chance in winning an election but can pull a lot of voters away from the Tory party by offering voters the world and giving them more Debt.

I have to admit this bunch of politicians that we have just now must rank as the worst bunch ever in our history.

And we have to vote for them. No wonder Scotland wants out. Who can blame them.

Another one of those budgets that was leaked to the public before the official budget was announced in Parliament.So basically it went down like a damp squib to me. Will I be any better off. probably not. I don't think it will make much of a difference to any of us.

Quickbeam 19:55 30 Oct 2018

"I have to admit this bunch of politicians that we have just now must rank as the worst bunch ever in our history."

Well that's way more than I rate any of them at this critical time!

Old Deuteronomy 19:59 30 Oct 2018

Basically with Labour and the Lib Dems they know that they probably have no chance in winning an election but can pull a lot of voters away from the Tory party by offering voters the world and giving them more Debt.

Mrs May is telling us that austerity is over, the Chancellor is increasing some public spending, there are tax cuts in The Budget and, the national debt is still rising...

Quickbeam 20:04 30 Oct 2018

I do have to wonder why though, when we are staring down the barrel of an elephant gun, just why so many of us hoping that someone will pull the trigger...

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Game of Thrones' Emilia Clarke spoofs all your favourite stock photo clichés

MacBook Air 2018 review

Comment supprimer un compte Facebook ?