Hot Topics

The verdict is delivered what next then?

Cymro. 11:11 24 Sep 2019

BBC news link

So where do we go from here then?

Quickbeam 06:06 25 Sep 2019

The real point from all this is that there is now a set precedent of a reasonable and an unreasonable length of prorogation.

Without this distinction being established, it would be scarily easy for an unscrupulous PM at some time in the future to attempt to implement an enablement act.

That is what this ruling was about, nothing to do with Brexit as was stated.

Quickbeam 08:24 25 Sep 2019

Peter~24

If you were to have a Rip Van Winkle sleep, you won't have missed all of the Brexit debacle!

Quickbeam 08:31 25 Sep 2019

Just listening to Breakfast TV:

A commentator says that the precedence is now set that the authority of Parliament is greater than the PMs authority. Therefore if the Queen feels that the PM hasn't got the backing of Parliament, she can rightfully decline the PMs advice.

Does that answer my earlier question regarding that? Interesting change in the perception of the role of the monarchy...

Govan1x 12:31 25 Sep 2019

Unfortunately the government cannot govern as it can be outvoted in any business it tries to pass.

If you cant govern you should should hold a new general election to get a party that can.

Boris cannot do that and it must be one of the first cases of its kind where a government cant govern and cannot call for a new election.

To me what Boris did was wrong but was given the wrong advice it seems.

To me what the political party's in the house of commons are doing not giving the Tory party the right to resign is also wrong but in there case legal.

A comment from some lord or another outside the houses of parliament today stated that the supreme court judges made up a new law to deliver their verdict.

True or not I don't know.Boris and some of his cabinet say that the supreme court's verdict was wrong but as you cant appeal it stands.

It has to be wrong that the Tory party or any party cannot call for a new election. In theory the House of commons could run the government until the next general election is due.

it is not going to happen but I suppose it could. it is probably the only way that labour can hold on to a bit of power without being elected.

There are lots of votes to be snapped up by the torys and the brexit party when the next general election comes. labour voters and lib dem supporters that voted to leave will be looking for another party to vote for. So interesting times ahead.

And if we dont leave on the 31st heaven only knows when we will.

One way or another we have to go not sometimes in the future but now. Deal or no deal.

Quickbeam 12:55 25 Sep 2019

It's all come down to trust, or lack of trust, in trusting that the PM will hold an election before or after the 31st...

The Attorney General in the last hour has berated the opposition MPs in the last hour over not calling for a confidence vote, but the government can't be trusted to not take advantage of it!

Dunk 09:44 26 Sep 2019

Govanx1 said "A comment from some lord or another outside the houses of parliament today stated that the supreme court judges made up a new law to deliver their verdict."

The SC cannot make 'new' law, only Parliament can do such a thing, and they obviously didn't as they weren't even sitting! Judges can only interpret the law.

Gina Miller was important, but I think the main cause was Ms Cherry QC, an SNP MP, who raised the main case in the Scottish Court of Session, who's ruling was then agreed by our Supreme court, rather than agreeing with the English High court. Why does it appear that Scots have so much influence over us, and we give them so much of our money already? Time to either give them independence, or declare independence for England?

Quickbeam 09:50 26 Sep 2019

Why am I getting the impression that Dunk would introduce the Scottish independence question into any thread topic, even if it was about the virtues of tinned tomatoes...?

Dunk 10:16 26 Sep 2019

Quickbeam

Maybe because he's fed up with subsidising them and watching them make a fool of us in our courts?

john bunyan 10:22 26 Sep 2019

The SC ruling was to interpret existing law, and had no Scottish direct input. They looked at a Government appeal against the Scottish Court of Session verdict and an appeal by Miller against the verdict of the English Appeal Court. The SC found that although prorogation is lawful, in this case the length of it was excessive and designed to stifle Parliamentary debate on a huge constitutional issue.

Also, in the U.K. we have statute law made in Parliament and interpreted by the higher courts, but we also have common law. This latter is occasionally modified by the Courts. If the Government doesn’t like the result, then an Act of Parliament can be passed to overrule it

Dunk 10:38 26 Sep 2019

john bunyan

I bow to your better knowledge regarding statute and common law - every day is a learning experience for me.

I thought, because of the constant reference to Ms Cherry in the House of Commons, that she had been a prime mover in the case? Perhaps I misheard.

(I still think we should not be subsidising the Scots.)

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Anker Nebula Soundbar – Fire TV Edition review

The story behind Royal Mail's new video game stamp set

Best VPN for iPhone 2020

Les meilleures applications de sport (2020)