Hot Topics

The verdict is delivered what next then?

Cymro. 11:11 24 Sep 2019

BBC news link

So where do we go from here then?

Gordon Freeman 14:40 24 Sep 2019

"If ever the was a time for democracy to prove its worth, and for our elected representatives (of all parties) to act as if they are adults, rather than a bunch of squabbling, self-serving children, this is it."

I'll keep fingers crossed, but not hold my breath on that one.

Not often I read about this stuff nowadays to be honest. What with the many twists & turns it has taken, I, like many have just lost all interest in brexit, & have no faith in any of the clowns in government.

3.25 years on & we're nowhere near realising the wish of the majority of 2016 referendum voters. Someone please wake me up when it's all over & done with.

john bunyan 14:45 24 Sep 2019

Having been found guilty of an illegal act and embarrassed the Queen, anyone with a shred of honour would immediately resign , together with the Leader of the House, sacking Dominic Cummings at the same time. Only the fact that Labour is in the hand of hard line Marxists would stop a landslide for them.

Clearly the Brexit referendum had, at the time, a clear result, but as FE says, Parliament has utterly failed to implement the result in over 3 years. There seems little prospect of a deal that will get through. Normally another referendum would be undesirable, to avoid endless delay. However as the Government has no majority, it may be that the EU may make the holding of another referendum a condition of granting a request for an extension to Article 50

Gordon Freeman 14:51 24 Sep 2019

"Having been found guilty of an illegal act..."

Just to be pedantic, JB, this isn't strictly true...it's 'unlawful'; there's a difference.

john bunyan 15:17 24 Sep 2019

Gordon

I copied it from this link but you may be right. However the misjudgment is sufficient for heads to roll, in most people’s view.

Illegal or unlawful?

Forum Editor 15:59 24 Sep 2019

"you may be right."

Technically he is right - illegal means 'forbidden by law' Unlawful means 'not expressly allowed by law'.

There is a difference, but I agree with you that most people would not think it worth bothering about.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:09 24 Sep 2019

Theresa May managed 3 years will Boris be out in less than 3 months?

That would make him the shortest serving British PM

Quickbeam 19:18 24 Sep 2019

A YouGov poll has 49% agreeing with the Supreme Court decision, but only 30% not. 21% seems a lot of don't knows to me.

morddwyd 19:27 24 Sep 2019

Regardless of the result, not for the for the First time I give thanks for an independent judiciary.

There are not many countries in the world where an individual citizen can safely put the Head of Government before the court.

Peter~24 00:22 25 Sep 2019

QB - A YouGov poll has 49% agreeing with the Supreme Court decision, but only 30% not. 21% seems a lot of don't knows to me.

Or is that 21% don't care. As has already been commented - "3.25 years on & we're nowhere near realising the wish of the majority of 2016 referendum voters. Someone please wake me up when it's all over & done with."

Quickbeam 05:52 25 Sep 2019

It's said that Boris might prorogue again so that he can have his jollies at the party conference.

What with his majority having been self decimated, could the Queen under the circumstances of this current embarrassmamt, tell him to ask if their is a majority within Parliament to support this request?

After all, a normal prorogation request is based on the sitting PM advising the Queen from a position of being the head of a majority government...

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor Band 5 Sport review

A Wikipedia for Chinese type launches with over 230 Chinese fonts

iMac 2020: new redesign and release date

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2020)