Hot Topics

Using a mobile phone while driving

bumpkin 15:59 20 Sep 2015

Something I was informed was illegal like speeding or not wearing a seat belt or not having proper child restraints. So it should be in my opinion but little or nothing seems to be done about it, I have seen the police using them whilst driving and I don't mean their radios. Speeding or not wearing a seat belt or inadvertenly straying into a bus lane then full the wrath of the law will descend upon you. Phoning, texting or playing games on a mobile and nobody gives a toss.

bremner 16:10 20 Sep 2015

In my area there has been a summer long police operation targeting speeding, no seat belt and mobile phone usage on the M5, and three main A roads leading into Devon and Cornwall. The results have been well publicised with many drivers being reported.

wee eddie 16:20 20 Sep 2015

Just because you see another breaking the law of the land, that is no excuse for doing it yourself.

Anything that distracts you from the task in hand, in this case driving, is a rash decision and if you are the driver of a car, potentially lethal.

bumpkin 16:39 20 Sep 2015

Just because you see another breaking the law of the land, that is no excuse for doing it yourself.

I did not say that I do it myself as I certainly don't.

spuds 16:48 20 Sep 2015

Like bremner I suppose, our local constabulary plus other agencies often have 'operation' going, with the end results usually published in the local press.

Does it make much difference, I would suggest not in the slightest, because drivers (in my opinion) regard it a right to answer or use a mobile phone.

Near where I live, there are a number of major roads leading onto motorway systems, and without doubt, it isn't very long to spot someone on a mobile telephone entering these systems. I would image the conversation is similar to that used on bus transport, when someone as to inform someone else of their immediate location!.

oresome 17:24 20 Sep 2015

I must admit from observation that the mobile phone law seems to be largely ignored and when I see large commercial vehicles wandering in and out of the hard shoulder on the motorway the driver is invariably preoccupied with a handheld device.

Not that I think a hands free device is the answer. The drivers concentration is still diverted from driving the vehicle.

Forum Editor 18:24 20 Sep 2015

In the past I have used my car's hands free phone technology extensively, but about three months ago I called a halt. I had a nasty moment when I narrowly missed colliding with a farm gate whilst driving into an entrance on a private roadway and looking at my car's screen at the same time. I was only doing about five miles an hour, but car and gate would both have been damaged.

It brought home to me how easy it is to be distracted - had I been going much faster and on a road the consequences might have been very much different.

I decided that no call is so urgent that I have to take or make it whilst driving, so now everyone gets a message to say that I'm driving, and will call back. It has been a liberating experience - I feel far more relaxed at the wheel.

Gordon Freeman 18:53 20 Sep 2015

'I decided that no call is so urgent that I have to take or make it whilst driving'

Absolutely true, yet others seem obsessed with being contactable all the time. Maybe it gives some people a sense of 'importance'.

bumpkin 19:04 20 Sep 2015

FE, you made the correct decision but only after a near accident. What does it take to educate others that have not had that "wake up call" and continue to do so until it happens to them or even worse a real accident, I consider it far more dangerous than a few miles over the speed limit if road conditions are safe and not wearing a seat belt where the harm is done to yourself due to your own stupidity. I think the law on this should be strictly enforced as the remote chance of being caught and fined a pittance is no detterent.

Forum Editor 19:05 20 Sep 2015

Gordon Freeman

It's responding to pressure that we create ourselves.

We now live in a society that is very largely run by computers - it could no longer function as it does without them. Mobile telephony and email have combined to ensure that by and large most of us are theoretically contactable all of the time, and there's a subtle but very real pressure to answer that phone, and respond to that email as rapidly as possible.

Before all this, whether you answered a letter today or tomorrow did not make a great deal of difference, but now, if you don't pick up, or don't reply to an email on the same day (sometimes within an hour or so) there can be stress created for both the parties involved.

It's the way things are - by nature we are curious, and we want to know who's calling. If it's someone we know we wonder what they're calling about, and we itch to find out.

It takes a real effort of willpower to break into this circle and say 'stop, I am not going to take that call right now', at least it did for me.

Perhaps there should be an organisation for people like me, so I can go to meetings and say 'My name is Peter, and I am a telephony junkie'.

bumpkin 19:17 20 Sep 2015

No therapy needed £50 bunus to every copper for each nicking, 9 penalty points for first offence. I jest of course but it is quite a serious road safety issue which nothing much appears to be done about.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to make yourself look better on a webcam

Doraemon postage stamps? Yes please!

Users report serious problems with macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Les clés Windows pas chères fonctionnent-elles ?