Hot Topics

Use of Plastic Drinking Straws.

BT 17:49 25 Jun 2019
Answered

No doubt most of you will have been aware of the campaign to eliminate the use of single use plastic including Drinking Straws.

Now for various reasons my Wife finds it easier to drink certain things with a straw and as her supply is getting low she asked me to get some from Tesco with the weekly online order.

This is what I found Paper Straws £2.00 for 80 -- Plastic Straws 35p for 120. So paper straws are around 10 times the price of plastic ones. Hardly an incentive to make the change (unless you are rich)

lotvic 19:46 25 Jun 2019

Have you thought of getting reusable metal drinking straws?

lotvic 20:00 25 Jun 2019

There are also reusable silicone straws.

Quickbeam 22:39 25 Jun 2019

Look online for 6mm food grade PVC tubing.

But it to length, and it can be washed and reused for ages.

Quickbeam 22:40 25 Jun 2019

But = cut

oftmarshall678 06:06 26 Jun 2019

Go for the metal straws. Still more expensive but reusable, just have to clean it every now and then.

BT 08:53 26 Jun 2019

Have you thought of getting reusable metal drinking straws?

I've seen them but just wonder about cleaning them.

I recently got a reuseable water bottle (Bottle for Life) from my local Co-op. It has a pull up sports type top and being made of a white material its obvious that its building up a deposit within the top which is impossible to clean out due to the way the top is designed. I've brushed it with a toothbrush and soaked it in some oxygen bleach (similar to Vanish) but its not moving. Now wondering if the 'Bottle for Life' guarantee covers this situation.

lotvic 10:55 26 Jun 2019

To enable cleaning, the reusable straws usually come with a thin bottle brush. You can also get silicone tips to put onto the metal straws to make them nicer to use.

Not seen the Bottle for Life but looked at a pic of one, doesn't the whole top section come off?

BT 11:15 26 Jun 2019

Not seen the Bottle for Life but looked at a pic of one, doesn't the whole top section come off?

Of course the lid comes off the bottle but the retractable 'nipple' on the lid is the bit which is difficult to clean

Bottle for life

Belatucadrus 11:36 26 Jun 2019

Or simply wash the original plastic ones, the eco problem with them is that they're pretty near indestructible. Just stop treating them as a disposable item.

wee eddie 12:09 26 Jun 2019

The problem of cleaning and sterilizing reusable straws is well nigh insurmountable. Among other things, the chemicals required could pollute our waterways.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Where's our Galaxy S20 Ultra review?

Creatives in China won't find this flag on Adobe, Getty or Shutterstock

New iPhone 12 release date, price & specs rumours

Microsoft Surface Duo confirmé : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique