upgrading to Windows 7 from XP

100andthirty 08:49 21 Feb 2009

there's an article on the news pages talking about upgrading XP to Windows 7. It says that Windows ME was a technical failure (true in my view!) and so MS issued Windows 98SE. This last bit isn't true; Windows 98SE predated Windows ME by at least a year.

Note to author....... check facts!

bremner 11:45 21 Feb 2009

The piece certainly has its facts mixed up relating to Windows releases. click here

Forum Editor 12:03 21 Feb 2009

and I apologise for the error - not much more I can say, except that I'll pass the information on to the appropriate person.

100andthirty 12:19 21 Feb 2009

Well, that's a very speedy response. What can i say except to mangle a well known saying....."to err is human and to apologise is devine"

Teaboy 11:52 22 Feb 2009

100andthirty-

I liked ME!

WhiteTruckMan 12:24 22 Feb 2009

I liked ME as well. It wasnt without its issues, but so has every other version of windows. I just think it suffered from not having as much investment from MS as some other OS's.

WTM

anchor 14:54 22 Feb 2009

Yes, I also liked Windows ME. As I recall so did the FE, (perhaps in his other persona as China).

Of course, it was not as stable as XP, but we accepted it at the time.

Legolas 21:32 22 Feb 2009

I am with the rest I also liked ME far more stable in my experience than 98. Not as good as XP obviously. I am now using Vista on my new laptop and I like Vista, stable, fast and easy to use.

paul trotter 10:00 23 Feb 2009

Thanks for pointing this out, and sorry for the error. We've changed it to.. "Microsoft Millennium was a technical failure that customers avoided, causing Microsoft to QUIETLY REISSUE Windows 98 SE and unofficially pull Millennium from the market.”

skeletal 17:49 23 Feb 2009

ME was fine. I used it without problems and liked it. I never really knew why so many people moaned about it. Of course it crashed, but for me it was slightly more stable than 98, which in turn was a lot more stable than 95.

Now Vista...well don’t get me going, again; I have enough threads on that topic already!

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?