unreliable smoke alarms are dangerous

MJS WARLORD 13:44 08 Sep 2018

I have a smoke alarm in my hallway next to my kitchen and when I do something like grill bacon it sets off the alarm (no visible smoke anywhere) and I curse it and press the button to stop it.

So can you explain this , I got a box of duck legs in the oven and carried watching television. A neighbour walking past my home knocked on the door and said I think your kitchen is on fire. It was not on fire but when I opened the door it was like walking into fog. THE SMOKE ALARM NEVER WENT OFF ????

The dumbest smoke alarms I have seen are ones that say toast don't set them off.I think that if my toaster was on fire I would want my alarm to go off.

What would happen if toaster did get on fire whilst having a quick pee , answering the phone or answering the door.

With regards to the duck incident , thank god it happened 2 weeks before I got a new kitchen.

MJS WARLORD 23:14 14 Sep 2018

False alarms or worn out batteries !!! the important thing to remember is these devices are trying to help you , and yes I did start this thread , but the one thing to remember is , get it wrong and you can only die once … end of.

Menzie 00:53 15 Sep 2018

The smoke alarm system I have is centralised to the entire building.

When an alarm goes off in one of the flats you have 30 seconds to press a cancel button located in your living room. If not the alarm goes off in every single unit and the lifts shut down. meaning the building has to be evacuated.

The fire brigade is also called on scene and nobody can go back in until they check the offending unit and give the all clear.

bumpkin 17:18 15 Sep 2018

bwthyn. Wales? or some other meaning.

MPN1A 18:25 15 Sep 2018

bumpkin

My dictionary says cottage, cabin, hut.

bumpkin 22:36 15 Sep 2018

unreliable smoke alarms are dangerous.

They can be if they catch fire.

Forum Editor 18:44 17 Sep 2018

In Wales we have a bwthyn, in Scotland it's a bothy. Both words mean exactly the same thing - a cottage, typically a worker's cottage.

In Ireland, they have a teachín.

bumpkin 19:13 17 Sep 2018

So dave lives in a cottage in Wales, very nice too wish I did at times. Thanks for the explanation FE.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S10 review: Hands-on

Alice Tye on blurring the line between fine art and illustration with Japan as her muse

Best free iPhone games 2019

Comparatif : iPhone XS vs Samsung Galaxy S10