Is unemployment really going down..

spuds 19:03 29 Sep 2015
Answered

because whenever there is Prime Ministers Question Time, you can nearly always guarantee that the PM will insists that it is, possibly indicating in large figures.

Yet we have heard through this forum the closure of a steel mill in Redcar, with the loss of a large number of jobs. And through my own investigations, this is no were an isolated case.

In my own region, only the other day, a company that once employed about 3400 workers is no down to its last 1250 and if all goes according to account most of those jobs will be lost within the next year, and the remaining work will be transferred to an already existing work site overseas.

So what are your views, is the PM out of touch, or are more jobs readily available, as he seems to indicate.

How is your own area surviving!.

Aitchbee 19:58 29 Sep 2015

Slightly off subject, but I often wonder [at-this-time-of-year] what the local teams of [Big City] council grasscutters do [exactly] between mid-October 'n' mid-March when they don't do any grasscutting. Do they go into hibernation for the winter?

lotvic 20:28 29 Sep 2015

HB, possibly part of the time they do the roads and paths gritting for the ice and snow?

wee eddie 20:35 29 Sep 2015

Many, who find themselves without a job, start their own business, this reduces the unemployed figures.

However the last couple of sets of figures showed rises in the numbers unemployed

Aitchbee 20:36 29 Sep 2015

lotvic, yes but those jobs would be somewhat more spasmodic especially with global warming etc.

oresome 20:39 29 Sep 2015

I think one of the problems is that there are often jobs available, but they are lower paid and require a different skill set to those that someone made redundant in say heavy industry or mining has.

As to official figures, we have a thriving black economy that isn't recorded, we don't know how many people are actually in the country and the recorded population is expanding rapidly so jobs have to be created at a similar rate to avoid a rise in unemployment.

Some areas are unable to adapt to a changing world or are in the wrong place geographically and will be in decline for generations unfortunately.

spuds 09:39 30 Sep 2015

HB - You usually find these people have summer and winter jobs, like lotvic might have suggested. But most council's now seem to contract the grass cutting and similar maintenance jobs out, so it could be a possibility, that in the slack periods, some of these people would need to seek alternatives, if available.

spider9 - I am in agreement with what you say. Smoke and mirrors.

oresome - "we have a thriving black economy that isn't recorded"

And no doubt we do, except possibly that it isn't as thriving as people might think. There are still an awful lot of people out there, who seem to express that they want a job, are seeking to find a job. Yet their skill barriers are nil, and they want top rate. Then complain that there is nothing out there, for them. My two local pubs are full of such minded people, from the moment the doors are open till closing time.

What brought me to this subject, was an incident that took place yesterday, and made me truly wonder how the PM obtains his facts, so that he can display with sincerity the the way he does on the fall of unemployment since he as been in power.

I am sure most people have seen the regular daily scenes of the 'scrap-person' collecting item left out by people. My area was no exception. In recent months I have also noticed that most of this 'scrap' is no longer being collected, so it ends up with a visit to a local tip, if you have transport available, or possibly arranging collection by a skip hire company or the local council, usually with a delay and cost involvement.

We had a local lad, who having left school never seemed able to hold a job down. He was then given the opportunity to purchased an old pick-up truck, and started to collect scrap and offer other clean-up services. This started about 4/5 years ago, and he was constantly working all hours making a living.

Coming back to yesterday, I made contact with him, requesting his services of clearing out a building that I have, that contains rather a fair amount of scrap metal and machinery. He informed me that last week he had to sell his latest pick-up truck and ceased trading, so he was unable to assist me. The price of scrap had lowered greatly, he was also tied to far reaching regulations, so in the end he just wasn't making a living to support himself, family and business. He's now unemployed, and no doubt are many others in the same line of business.

He took the opportunities, but in the end it wasn't enough for him to carry on. Like he told me, with the economy and increasing regulations he could not survive. And this is possibly where the government might do more, if the PM want to keep his boasts?.

Aitchbee 12:29 30 Sep 2015

The price of scrap had lowered greatly, he was also tied to far reaching regulations, so in the end he just wasn't making a living to support himself, family and business.

I suppose the same could apply to many farmers if you replaced the word scrap with milk in the above sentence.

oresome 19:33 30 Sep 2015

An article on the BBC website gives a list of the most deprived areas in England according to a new survey.

No surprise that they are mainly northern, former mining or heavy industry areas or seaside towns.

spuds 09:30 01 Oct 2015

Coming back to a comment that I made earlier, and I wonder if that applies to many other areas of the UK. Any further comments about the following:

"There are still an awful lot of people out there, who seem to express that they want a job, are seeking to find a job. Yet their skill barriers are nil, and they want top rate. Then complain that there is nothing out there, for them. My two local pubs are full of such minded people, from the moment the doors are open till closing time."

spuds 13:18 02 Oct 2015
Answer

Any further comments on the above 09.30AM comment?.

In the meantime, I'll tick this post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Artists FriendsWithYou reimagine Snoopy and Charlie Brown for a Peanuts London takeover

iPad Pro 12.9in (2018) review

Les meilleurs smartphones chinois disponibles en France