Hot Topics

UK tech shop Maplin going bust

simonjary 07:06 28 Feb 2018

Looks like Maplin is going out of business, which is a real shame as it's one of the very few tech shops on the high street.

Forum Editor 17:02 28 Feb 2018

Menzie

I am sure your post resonates with many people here. The days when such techniques as those you describe were acceptable (if ever they were) are over. One thing all consumers have learned from the internet is that they have a wide choice when it comes to buying pretty well anything, and they don't have to walk the streets to exercise it.

High street retailers know it, or they should, and they must react accordingly or die. Big stores are now only viable for companies like B&Q and cash & carry operations.

Amazon has transformed the way we buy things, and there's no going back.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:21 28 Feb 2018

Just been diagnosing a fault with my tumbledryer, won't start just sits and hums, I've ccome to the conclusion the motor capaticitor is dead as the motor runs if i give it a nudge to srat.

A few years ago I would have been down the shops Maplins / Tandy looking for a new one. Unfortunately my local Maplins closed a couple of years ago. Found a lot of stuff from Maplin to be quite pricey in comparison with other retailers.

Now I have just sat in front of the PC with a hot cup of tea and ordered one from via Amazon.

bumpkin 20:24 28 Feb 2018

Maplins was good in its day but now with the internet can't compete. I ordered something from Argos today 2hrs later it was at my door.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Smartphone is Dead

Celebrate all those times brands took a stand (for good PR)

New iPad Pro (2020) release date, price & specs rumours

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio Lightning (2020)