UK 'faces build-up of plastic waste'

Cymro. 11:02 01 Jan 2018

Link to BBC News

So what are we to do with such stuff now then? Personally I think it high time we found a way to produce less plastic waste in the first place. Someone should sort out what is the best for the environment. Plastic, glass, aluminium, steel whatever suerly one or other must be a better bet as far as the environment is concerned.

Belatucadrus 11:18 01 Jan 2018

Problem appears to be that despite all the waffle about Recyclable plastics we have yet to invest in the hardware to actually do the recycling. All we ever did was sort it into bundles and dump it on the Chinese who have it appears accumulated quite enough over the past few years.

We either need to actually reprocess the stuff or incinerate it and incineration has more than a few environmental issues. If we can't process the waste into some usable form then the term "Recyclable" becomes meaningless particularly with regard to plastics and regulation will need to look to banning it where genuinely recyclable alternatives like glass or cardboard exist.

Old Deuteronomy 11:27 01 Jan 2018

A lot of the plastic used in food packaging can be replaced by cardboard and, in many cases, where plastic is still needed compostable plastics, based on maize starch, can be used. Our local council supplies food waste bags made of maize starch plastic.

Aitchbee 11:28 01 Jan 2018

I've got rid of about half-a-ton of plastic DVD cases and CD cases over the past couple of years. I now keep the discs in numerous 40 capacity wallets and the paper inserts in A4 file organisers. I am not sure if the plastics that the cases are made of are recyclable ie. should they go into the communal plastic bottle recycle bin or not. I just bag them up and put them into the general waste receptical [green bin].

btw, my new year's resolution is to stay out of charity shops, as that's from where my collection has grown ;o]

canarieslover 11:56 01 Jan 2018

Aitchbee - At least digital downloads for music and video are environmentally good, apart from the electricity we use and the unfriendly parts of the equipment. Looks like I might have unloaded my 'green concience' on to you as I have donated all my CD's & DVD's to the charity shops. I'm old enough to remember when we got everything in paper bags from the grocers and we took a robust bag to the greengrocer and he would empty every purchase into it without wrapping. It wouldn't be allowed nowadays but I don't remember it doing us any harm.

john bunyan 13:50 01 Jan 2018

Plastic milk bottles are a concern. Why can’t they use cardboard cartons or , better, return to good old milk bottles- but that would be tricky as most people buy from supermarkets rather than milkmen.

wee eddie 14:14 01 Jan 2018

A major part of the reason manufacturers use of plastics is that they are light, unbreakable and easily sealed.

Until satisfactory alternatives are found, plastics will continue to dominate the Retail and distribution market.

wee eddie 14:17 01 Jan 2018

Glass is not a solution.

Apart for a shortage of the sand, required to make it, it is heavy, difficult to seal, easily broken and reuse creates pollution problems of its own.

Menzie 18:09 01 Jan 2018

Here in Canada it is cheaper to buy milk by the bag than a plastic carton of milk. You can either pay $4 for a single carton of milk, or the same price for 4 bags of it.

Most opt for the bag and use a milk jug at home freezing the other bags until needed.

The milk bags can be recycled, doing it this way they make the bag option the better value.

Menzie 18:13 01 Jan 2018

Oops, I posted a box of milk instead of a bottle. The bags are also cheaper than the boxes too particularly the brands that have a box with a plastic cap at the top.

canarieslover 18:33 01 Jan 2018

I like the idea of bags of milk as they would be so much easier to push into that last corner of the fridge or freezer.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

The best smart speaker: Apple HomePod vs Google Home vs Amazon Echo

Augmentation du tabac : les meilleures applications pour arrĂȘter de fumer