Hot Topics

TV Quizzes, are they Scams?

recap 12:51 26 Feb 2007

click here

Apparently this is not the only show to do this.

mole44 16:18 26 Feb 2007

if your daft enought to call a £1 a minute line you have only yourself to blame.read on the tag line on the screen it will tell all.and i`d like to have been a fly on the wall when richard & judy got wind of what was happening.

Mike D 18:59 26 Feb 2007

I'm not sure whether I have this correct, but I seem to remember during my days with BT that the reason that this type of quiz was set up was something to do with the lottery legislation, which stated something to the effect that a prize draw could not be run via the telephone. However, if callers were asked to answer a question, then it would be perfectly legal to draw the winner from the callers with the correct answer. Thus the daft questions are there to legitimise a prize draw.

Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it, Your Honour!

Mike

Forum Editor 19:13 26 Feb 2007

that any TV show which asks viewers to phone in and vote, or phone in to try to claim a prize, or phone in to join a future edition of the show, is raking in money big-time from the call charges.

Thousands of people call - one person wins. The show wins all the time.

I'm astonished that this could come as a revelation to anyone.

Forum Editor 19:16 26 Feb 2007

It's not theft. Please don't make sweeping alegations you can't substantiate. It may be unacceptable, or even (in some cases) immoral, but it's not a crime.

Viewers/listeners are invariably warned about call costs before they phone, but many of them are so eager to start dialing they probably ignore the warning.

Belatucadrus 14:16 27 Feb 2007

I just loved the example given in the press recently for one of these phone ins.

Q: Name a thing you'd find in a woman's handbag.

A: Rawlplugs.

No that wasn't the offering from somebody with no idea what women keep in their handbags, that's the official competition answer.

Belatucadrus 17:27 27 Feb 2007

What sad git utilised their clearly encyclopaedic knowledge of the mint to compile and post all that bumph ?

Noldi 19:02 18 Mar 2007

It amazes me who buy these 50 quid tickets in Airport departure lounges to win cars. The cost of the car plus rental of prime floor space plus a profit must come to a fair amount of tickets.

Noldi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

5 video games we want to see as movies

You've watched Parasite, now read the storyboards in comic book form

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures lumières connectées (2020)