A TV network wants to use my video

Gummomarx 23:34 27 Apr 2018

A major Japanese TV network (TV Tokyo) purportedly wants to use one of my YouTube videos for one of its programmes. They've asked me for my rate.

Anyone know where to begin to handle such a query?

Forum Editor 13:23 03 May 2018

Well done.

Monetise it any way you can - assuming you only granted the TV company a one-use copyright licence.

Gummomarx 13:39 03 May 2018

We agreed one broadcast with the network coming back to me if any further usage needed.

Forum Editor 14:52 03 May 2018

That sounds good. You are free to monetise any other way - you still hold the copyright in the original file.

It's worth remembering that YouTube always allows copyright holders to retain ownership of their work. But under their terms of service they require you to grant to YouTube a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual license to freely sub-license, re-distribute, re-publish, monetize, and whatever they may want to do with your video. They’re basically requiring that you grant YouTube all of the same rights that you have with your video, short of turning over your rights to them.

Put simply, it's as if YouTube and you are joint copyright holders in all but name - you still hold the full copyright, and may sell sub-licences (as you have in this case) but you have granted YouTube the widest possible use of the file as well, for which they pay you precisely nothing.

Gummomarx 20:23 03 May 2018

Payment received a short while ago.

Thanks so much for all your help.

bumpkin 20:25 03 May 2018

Nice bit of video but I doubt you will make a fortune from it, best make what you can and read Fe’s advice. Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 9 review

Apple has upgraded the iMac to make it twice as fast – and given the iMac Pro a quiet bump too

New iMac 2019 launch: Release date, price, features & specs

iMac 2019 : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique