A TV network wants to use my video

Declanworld 23:34 27 Apr 2018

A major Japanese TV network (TV Tokyo) purportedly wants to use one of my YouTube videos for one of its programmes. They've asked me for my rate.

Anyone know where to begin to handle such a query?

Belatucadrus 09:23 28 Apr 2018

A brief look seems to suggest that any financial offers are down to them, but they may be looking to buy exclusive rights for a specific period so you could lose ownership of the clip.

First thought is to ask them what they are offering and under what terms.

Declanworld 09:58 28 Apr 2018

While i was awaiting a reply here, i asked them to make me an offer and they came back with $500 US.

Belatucadrus 10:23 28 Apr 2018

Check the terms, if they simply want rights for a one off transmission on the TV channel that looks great. If however they want control of the clip for ten years it may look less enticing.

Check the small print and make up your own mind.

Declanworld 11:45 28 Apr 2018

Will do - thanks.

Forum Editor 14:54 29 Apr 2018

What you'll be doing is selling the company a copyright licence - in this case for broadcast. You can licence your footage for one broadcast, or for several.

You'll need to remember that once the company has made the programme and transmitted it, there will be a recording, and your footage will be a part of it. You'll need to agree a fee for any subsequent broadcast - a royalty payment if you like.

Some news footage is broadcast repeatedly over several days - it's all a question of discussing the company's intentions and then agreeing fees.

bumpkin 16:25 29 Apr 2018

I don't know the contents of your video or the TV networks intended usage. If it is news then their offer will be short lived, if it's something else they require then they will of course begin with their starting bid. It is up to you to negotiate if you consider it of more value. If it available on Youtube then why not post us a link for further comments.

Declanworld 21:07 30 Apr 2018
  rickf 10:59 01 May 2018

Wonderful video.

Belatucadrus 14:18 01 May 2018

Probably pointing out the peculiarities of foreigners, filming dolphins when any self respecting Japanese would have already turned it into Sashimi and invited the friends around for dinner.

Declanworld 13:18 03 May 2018

We've agreed £400 for 13 seconds - wonder should I re-monetise it on YouTube?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Frida Kahlo's life, art and legacy explored in Google's new giant online collection and app

Best Android emulators for Mac

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?