Try to be really honest

Forum Editor 23:29 20 Feb 2011

both with yourself, and with me, and tell me how important the internet is in your life on a scale of 1 to 10.

1 being 'not at all important, I wouldn't miss it in the slightest if I had to give it up'

5 being 'I wouldn't really mind one way or the other.

and 10 being 'Life just wouldn't be the same without it'

There's nothing earth-shatteringly important behind this, I'm just interested. The usual privacy assurance applies - I won't tell another living soul what you say.

I'll give you my own honest answer now: 8 I would find it very difficult to earn my living without internet access, and would prefer not to have to try.

Forum Editor 23:42 20 Feb 2011

Email wouldn't exist without the internet, so yes, it's included.

Strawballs 23:56 20 Feb 2011

Got to be an 8 because I would struggle to get to the bank during their short working day and use it to keep in contact and arrange things with family members.

Dragon_Heart 00:01 21 Feb 2011

.... and electricity you come to depend on it.

I run a web group for parents of special needs children so based on that alone I have to say 10+

Looking for and booking holidays, route planning, days out, best prices, Amazon ......

It is an important tool in like but unlike some it is NOT my life.

Number six 00:06 21 Feb 2011

Definite 9 here also. I think the internet and television are equally indespensible in most peoples lives these days.

Macscouse 00:06 21 Feb 2011

Friday nights without Brumas' postings, and Bingalau's erudite musings-unthinkable.

Flak999 01:41 21 Feb 2011

To be honest I would be lost without it! It is such a part of modern day life that it would be a major disruption if it disappeared overnight.

I take it so much for granted, if you need a phone number no need to call the men with mustaches, just Google it!

The whole world of knowledge is there at your fingertips, no need to go to the library. Whatever obscure or forgotten piece of information you need is within your grasp.

Could I do without it? Of course I could. But it would be like retreating back to the dark ages.

You never appreciate what you've got until its gone! 9 out of 10 for me.

wee eddie 04:46 21 Feb 2011

Keeping in touch with The Family, fellow Curlers and Windsurfers, would be more difficult and, in all likelihood, the last 2 categories would wither on the vine.

sunnystaines 07:56 21 Feb 2011

its not till it goes down for a day or so that you realise how much you miss it.

Quickbeam 08:11 21 Feb 2011

...ish.

Blackhat 08:35 21 Feb 2011

Five years ago I would have said 2-3.
I now own 2 manufacturing companies that rely heavily on emails for orders/quotes bank payments etc and Mrs B runs a business online.

How things have changed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Les bons plans TV (2019)