Trump grounds all the suspect Boeing 737s

Quickbeam 19:07 13 Mar 2019

It looks like there is a link now with the two previous crashes that they're looking into that seeing all the model types being grounded now.

Better safe than sorry, whatever the cost.

Quickbeam 19:11 13 Mar 2019

It looks like Trump's action must have forced the issue with Boeing, the entire global fleet is now grounded by Boeing.

qwbos 21:31 13 Mar 2019

The FAA have been stalling (a bit like the 737 Max-8s) since the Lion Air crash in October. As far as I can see, all that happened since then is that a bulletin was issued warning of a potential problem. Doubtless a great help when an aircraft develops a mind of it's own during climb out with less than 1000 feet to identify what's happening and recover before slamming into the ground!

FAA statement

"For the past several months and in the aftermath of Lion Air Flight 610, Boeing has been developing a flight control software enhancement for the 737 MAX, designed to make an already safe aircraft even safer. This includes updates to the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) flight control law, pilot displays, operation manuals and crew training. The enhanced flight control law incorporates angle of attack (AOA) inputs, limits stabilizer trim commands in response to an erroneous angle of attack reading, and provides a limit to the stabilizer command in order to retain elevator authority.

The FAA says it anticipates mandating this software enhancement with an Airworthiness Directive (AD) no later than April. We have worked with the FAA in development of this software enhancement.

It is important to note that the FAA is not mandating any further action at this time, and the required actions in AD2018-23.5 continue to be appropriate.

A pitch augmentation control law (MCAS) was implemented on the 737 MAX to improve aircraft handling characteristics and decrease pitch-up tendency at elevated angles of attack. It was put through flight testing as part of the certification process prior to the airplane entering service. MCAS does not control the airplane in normal flight; it improves the behavior of the airplane in a non-normal part of the operating envelope.

Boeing’s 737 MAX Flight Crew Operations Manual (FCOM) already outlines an existing procedure to safely handle the unlikely event of erroneous data coming from an angle of attack (AOA) sensor. The pilot will always be able to override the flight control law using electric trim or manual trim. In addition, it can be controlled through the use of the existing runaway stabilizer procedure as reinforced in the Operations Manual Bulletin (OMB) issued on Nov. 6, 2018.

A Boeing technical team is at the crash site to provide technical assistance under the direction of the Ethiopia Accident Investigation Bureau and U.S. National Transportation Safety Board. It is still early in the investigation, as we seek to understand the cause of the accident.

qwbos 22:56 13 Mar 2019

From the BBC article

Dan Elwell, acting administrator at the FAA, said on Wednesday: "It became clear to all parties that the track of the Ethiopian Airlines [flight] was very close and behaved very similarly to the Lion Air flight."

This information, which is included at the bottom of the BBC item, was available online at the time of the crash. Pity the FAA took 3 days to find it.

Al94 19:01 14 Mar 2019

The strange thing is at this precise moment in time there are five Boeing 737 Max8 flying in US airspace, 4 American Airlines 1 South West Airlines, Antigua to Philadelphia, Peurto Plata to Boston, Santo Domingo to Philadelphia, New York to Orlando and St Croix to Tulsa. The ban seems ineffective.

Forum Editor 22:54 14 Mar 2019

"The ban seems ineffective."

As soon as those aircraft touched down they would have been grounded. No departures of 737 Max 8 or Max 9 aircraft will be allowed from any North American airport and no aircraft of those types will be permitted to fly in US airspace until further notice.

qwbos 01:07 15 Mar 2019

Al94

Where are you getting your information from? The way the press releases read, I'd have thought the whole fleet would have been on the ground long before the time of your post.

Al94 05:32 15 Mar 2019

I get the information from flightradar24 app where you can drill down by aircraft type When I looked at it some 5 hours after my post there were 10 airborne in US airspace and there is just one Southwest Minneapolis to Orlando airborne at the moment

Quickbeam 05:58 15 Mar 2019

"When I looked at it some 5 hours after my post there were 10 airborne in US airspace and there is just one Southwest Minneapolis to Orlando airborne at the moment"

That's nearly 36 hours after my post saying that Boeing had grounded the global fleet. Shortly after I posted that the news reported that a 737 from Italy to London had been sent back despite being past the point of no return. So I would have thought that they could have all been grounded within a couple of hours of the order. I would think that maybe these in the air aren't the Max 8/9 types?

Al94 10:55 15 Mar 2019

shows a TUI 737 Max 8 enroute from Valencia to Brussels which apparently is a repositioning flight as may have been the US ones. So there is a difference between grounded and flying with passengers.

Al94 11:00 15 Mar 2019

screenshot Hopefully this link works as had trouble as a photo.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?