Trident vote in the Commons today.

Quickbeam 07:12 18 Jul 2016

Whilst I agree we should retain it, I think that under the present economic Brexit uncertainty, we should postpone it for a decade to take a great funding elephant out of our immediate line of sight.

Trident

x123 08:18 08 Aug 2016

However, this thread was about Trident (until someone else took us back to Scotland's economy!!).

I think you diverted it with

Will the new Trident be affordable?

To which I countered, if the party who wishes not to house the Trident were to leave the union. The money saved would amply pay for and possibly fund a new location for Trident. As Trident does affect the Scottish economy, your

(until someone else took us back to Scotland's economy!!).

Is that simplistic enough, for you?

john bunyan 08:26 08 Aug 2016

x123

See my post 18 Jul 12.21. Your figures , with oil so cheap, are broadly correct and could , maybe, used to keep Trident where it is.

x123 08:33 08 Aug 2016

Yes I did note your post @ 12.31 ;-)

and agree that such a large amount of revenue and jobs would be silly to loose but if their ideology says they don't want it on their soil, who will be the financial losers?

x123 08:40 08 Aug 2016

Well if Barnett was scrapped, the UK could afford it!

morddwyd 08:41 08 Aug 2016

"until someone else took us back to Scotland's economy!!)."

There was a thread dedicated to things Scottish but unfortunately it was closed.

Those who are interested now have to take their chances when they can, and the rest of us have to grin and bear it!

x123 12:04 08 Aug 2016

The Barnett Formula – the means by which the Scottish Government’s block grant is decided by the UK Government

snp.org

Well if you don't want it to fix your crumbling hospitals, mend the potholed roads, get the children to get better results ( FM pledge ), plough money in to food banks etc,

Send it back and we can build Trident faster.

john bunyan 14:41 08 Aug 2016

In the days when oil was over $100 a barrel, it made an amount roughly equal to Barnett (if it were allocated to Scotland). Now, at below $50 it is almost insignificant, so, now, most of the £ 7 -8 billion extra per caput spending in Scotland does, indeed, come from rUK. Maybe why there is no rush for Indy2.

Anyway, back to Trident, it represents about 6% of annual Defence budget. If scrapped the money would be used within MOD as part of the NATO agreement to spend 2% of GDP on defence, so it would not fund hospitals etc.

john bunyan 16:45 08 Aug 2016

spider9~2

With all the turmoil post the unfortunate Brexit vote, everything is up in the air and quite honestly I am just drifting along like a cork on the ocean of uncertainty in so many areas. I try to maintain an interest in all these matters, but it is waning as other personal priorities increase!

Forum Editor 22:59 08 Aug 2016

spider9~2

"(although I confess to not having heard this "....where the median line...." expression before)."

The median line (in this context) is the equidistant line used when the North Sea was divided up between the UK and its neighbours 50 years ago, and it was used to determine the fisheries boundary between Scotland and the rest of the UK following the establishment of devolution in 1999. It was later suggested that it might be a way of determining an equable distribution of oil revenue entitlement, if Scotland became independent following the referendum.

Forum Editor 07:24 09 Aug 2016

spider9~2

I think that if Scotland became independent, and the median line principle was applies to oil revenues, Scotland would end up with the lion's share - possibly around 80%.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

Beck album covers ranked – his best artwork from the '90s to now

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

iPhone SE 2 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs