Topping up a nearly full tank at the pumps.

oresome 19:52 09 May 2018

There seems to be a bit of kerfuffle regarding pre-authorising payment cards for a full tank of fuel at the moment.

I was reading a complaint from one woman who claimed she was adding £5 worth of fuel to an almost full tank.

Why would you do that? It's not even a gallon of fuel and surely not worth the time, effort or fuel used to get to the pump.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:51 09 May 2018

when you authorise your card at the pump the screen says take up to £99

this is the pre authorised payment for a full tank

you only gey charged for what you take.

the problem comes ifyou account is low on funds (less than £99 and /or the pre payment ocurs just as another payment occurs and you could end up in overdraft for a minute or so until your fuel transaction is completedbut the banks are supposed not to charge if this happens.

bumpkin 22:11 09 May 2018

I can understand somebody buying £5 of fuel if they about to run out and are short of money but why top up a nearly full tank. I have only used pay at the pump once but still had to go into the shop to get the receipt so prety pointless in that instance.

wee eddie 23:30 09 May 2018

Taxi drivers do that at the end of each shift.

As does the next driver. Every driver starts the shift with a full tank

Menzie 00:55 10 May 2018

She might have been returning a rental. If she got it on a full tank and it dipped below that she would need to top it up or pay the rental company's inflated refuel charge.

morddwyd 08:09 10 May 2018

She might have been about to board ferry to somewhere here fuel is more expensive.

She might have been using up a time limited fuel voucher which was about to expire.

One of her children might have been about to drive it to uni.

geoff96 08:10 10 May 2018

Asda to scrap the £99 charge after complaints.

enter link description here

BT 09:09 10 May 2018

but still had to go into the shop to get the receipt so pretty pointless in that instance.

The pumps at my local Tesco will print a receipt if required.

Reading the article it suggests that this only happens (the £99 thing) if you use a Debit card. I use a Credit card when using Pay at the Pump and although the pump says that £99 is the largest transaction permitted it has never been taken.

Everyone is surmising why the lady was filling a nearly full tank and she has already said its so that she doesn't run out when ferrying her kids about. Seems a bit obsessive to me, after all most cars will travel well over 200 miles on a full tank.

HondaMan 18:25 10 May 2018

Why, I wonder are there no comments on this bit of the article. "a further step is available to petrol stations which allows them to check what available funds a customer has"

I certain ly do not want a supermarket sniffing around my accounts!

bumpkin 20:11 10 May 2018

I think that it means that you have sufficient to pay for the fuel, nothing else.

BT 08:51 11 May 2018

"a further step is available to petrol stations which allows them to check what available funds a customer has"

Surely this is no different to when a card is declined when using the in store card machine. It checks whether you have the funds or Credit available.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Best Android emulators for Mac

TV & Streaming : comment regarder Roland Garros ?