today was my last day at work.

grumpy old man 18:35 19 Jul 2019

I have been working for a vending machine company for the last 13 years , testing and inspecting machines before they go out to customers. In a few weeks I will be 64 and due to family health problems I have decided to call it a day.

This was my closing speech to all my workmates , some people lolled and a few cried but I would like to share with you what I said.

I started work almost 49 years ago , I don’t know why but every where I have worked I seem to have been treated like shit by either so called work mates , bosses or over ambitious union men.

Maybe some people just saw me as an easy target.

That all stopped when I joined this company in august 2006.

I can remember the day Paul showed me round what eventually became my work area I asked him so many questions I think I fried his brain because I suddenly noticed him pushing me closer and closer to the fire exit. I felt a big boot heading in my direction.

I need to say a big thank you to Mick ( my director/boss ) , over the years he has pissed me off , wound me up , stressed me out , done my head in and on few occasions I have wanted to smack him. Joking apart though, he is the only person ever to give me a job with a lot of trust and a lot of responsibility, I gave it my best shot Mick and would just like to think I repaid the trust you put in me.

As for everyone else your the best workmates I’ve ever had the privilege to work with, there have been lots of laughter and a few tears. Whenever anyone has needed help with anything we have always been there for each other.

Over the years some of us have lost family members and close friends; we have also lost some workmates as well. Bill, Sylvia, Barbara, and of course the biggest shock of all Linda. I think about Linda almost every day because I have photos of her in different folders on my pc.

As I walk out of the door for the last time I will be taking 2 boxes with me, my tool box and a box full of happy memories that will stay with me for a long time.

* I was ok reading this till I mentioned Linda

The company only employs about 30 but they clubbed together and bought me a huge Tommy Hilfiger watch , an engraved whiskey tumbler and a few bottles to put in it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:56 19 Jul 2019

Enjoy your retirement!

wee eddie 19:07 19 Jul 2019

Enjoy

Menzie 19:30 19 Jul 2019

Happy Retirement, I imagine adjusting to the extra free time after a while will take some getting used to.

john bunyan 20:50 19 Jul 2019

Have a long and happy retirement. You won’t know how you had time to go to work!

Brumas 21:24 19 Jul 2019

I echo all that has been said, good luck to you.

QuizMan 22:52 19 Jul 2019

Sounds a shame that you have to retire for the sake of your family. Must have been a great place to work. But family ALWAYS comes first. I hope you enjoy your retirement.

grumpy old man 23:11 19 Jul 2019

thanks for all your replies , I made a in my head list of just who would reply and guess what , you were all on the list .

hzhzhzhz 01:38 20 Jul 2019

I won't be on your list but happy retirement.

wee eddie 08:21 20 Jul 2019

A, long time friend of mine, Chemist who retired a few years back. Went Golfing on his first day of Retirement.

On his return from the Course, he was met at the door by his wife with a very long list, which included all the household jobs that he had been putting off for years.

It also included weekly Exams in subjects like "Washing-up", "Dusting" and "Window Cleaning"

oresome 08:37 20 Jul 2019

Enjoy a long and happy retirement.

I think you should now change your handle.

You're not old and will no longer be grumpy when you wake up. You can roll over and have another hour.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Elephone U2 Review

Ichijo Hikaru's riso print pop art is a celebration of the female body

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Les bons plans audio (2019)