Times to start charging for website

Al94 09:07 26 Mar 2010

from June click here I think I would rather go back to buying papers than pay for online access. Presumably others will follow this lead.

Quickbeam 09:13 26 Mar 2010

The Times, they are a changin'...

Quickbeam 09:16 26 Mar 2010

Will anyone subscribe to any papers? I only flip through the various paper sites which doesn't make it worth paying for.

On the other hand, I'd pay a BBC site subscription as there is so much more besides news.

Paul-1379466 09:47 26 Mar 2010

I've just deleted the site from my bookmarks. If everyone starts charging it looks like I will have to revert to the telly.

mr simon 09:48 26 Mar 2010

There is no shortage of news elsewhere on the internet, some of it better quality too. There is no site I would pay £1 a day to use.

I can understand the need to bring income in from that sector, but I think they are going about it the wrong way.

ella33 09:59 26 Mar 2010

BBC online news seems to cover the main points and local news. I suppose there is more details about Finance and Business news on the Times site? I never thought about looking there for news. Maybe there is less advertising on these sites, I've often wondered how these sites keep going.
I have never thought to ask anyone but I have always assumed that the tv liceence also covers BBC online?

wee eddie 10:04 26 Mar 2010

£50pa would make more sense.

Pay once a year and get on with it

WhiteTruckMan 10:29 26 Mar 2010

As a license payer I feel I have already contributed to it. Let the beeb economise elsewhere first. (e.g. just how many staff did they send to the olympics this time?)

MAJ 11:43 26 Mar 2010

I haven't bought a newspaper since 1980, the year I finished my engineering apprenticeship. I think it was force of habit that made me buy it along with my usual bottle of lucozade and mint Aero. The Lucozade has survived though.

Quickbeam 12:15 26 Mar 2010

if they have in sight the change from buying a paper newspaper, to the kindle/ipad type of media reader and don't want to appear to be cashing in later when everyone has bought one of those devices expecting free newspapers for ever?

Quickbeam 12:22 26 Mar 2010

You're quite right, we have paid for the BBC content, but if I was to pay for general news, that's the sort of content and quality I'd want, and that's abridged to some extent compared to the radio and TV reports.

I would however be prepared to pay for PCA magazine on line, when it's read I rarely/never go to back issues, I just bin 'em when a new one comes out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Adobe price increase confuses customers

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?