Timed delivery of goods by couriers.

BT 08:28 11 Nov 2015

My neighbour knocked last night asking if I can take delivery of a carpet for him today. Despite his requests all that they can promise is 'Sometime today between 9am and 6pm' and he's not able to be home all day. He's left me his key to let them in.

Surely these delivery companies have a better idea than this. I had a delivery via Hermes on Monday and they sent an Email telling me to expect delivery at 11am and they turned up within about 10mins of that time and in my experience they usually do. Presumably the driver is given a delivery schedule that can estimate when (within a given time slot) they will be in your area.

Quickbeam 08:56 11 Nov 2015

That's high tech mass delivery GPS controlled delivery system Vs the local carpet shop's delivery book!

We've become spoilt lately, I prefer to use the argos click and Collect service if it's offered as that way I know that the item is in town, I then have a 12 hour slot of my choosing to collect it.

HondaMan 10:30 11 Nov 2015

I had several emails from an on-line company about delivery, including a link to track the parcel. It started with the usual 900am to 6.00pm, but as they day went on each successive email narrowed it down until it was within 30 minutes AND I was able to track it visually so when the driver got lost, I could see him on the tracking programme and tell him which turn to take to get to me. Brilliant!

rickf 11:46 11 Nov 2015

DPD couriers would give you a hour window on day of delivery. I find them to be excellent.

Forum Editor 12:47 11 Nov 2015

It's not too difficult for couriers to predict a time if they are delivering small packages, but carpet deliveries are different. Some consignments will be bulky and heavy, and it can be difficult to predict how long each delivery will take.

oresome 17:13 11 Nov 2015

I once had a carpet delivered for my mother in laws bedroom.

On the day, we removed the bed and furniture and uplifted the old carpet ready to fit the new one.

As it approached 17:00 and the carpet had yet to be delivered I rang the carpet shop and was assured it had left the warehouse that morning and would be delivered as promised.

A carpet fitter delivered the carpet at 21:45 on his way home from a late job.

I never anticipated fitting a carpet and moving furniture back into the room at way past midnight!

BT 17:25 11 Nov 2015

That's high tech mass delivery GPS controlled delivery system Vs the local carpet shop's delivery book!

In fact it wasn't the local carpet shop it was a Tuffnels Express Parcel delivery van, a National company, and he turned up at about 2.15 eventually

BT 17:27 11 Nov 2015

I prefer to use the argos click and Collect service if it's offered as that way I know that the item is in town, I then have a 12 hour slot of my choosing to collect it.

If you're really quick you can collect it in 60 seconds according to their lastest advertising.

oresome 19:34 11 Nov 2015

I purchased a TV from John Lewis last year and when it hadn't arrived by 18:00 on the delivery day, I rang their help desk to confirm that it was coming.

They confirmed it had left the warehouse, but claimed to have no communication with the delivery team. The TV did eventually arrive in a John Lewis logoed van at 21:00 and the guys still had 2 more deliveries to make in another town.

True to John Lewis's claim, the delivery drivers did ring to give an estimated delivery time at 20:55 to say they'd be here in 5 minutes. This was more for their convenience than mine to save them the journey if I was out

BT 08:04 12 Nov 2015

Following on from this what I want to know is that if I order something from Tesco Direct I can pick it up from my choice of several nearby stores next day, but if I want it delivered its best part of a week. The delivery is usually by Hermes or similar. Seems to me smaller packages could be dropped off by the grocery Home delivery vans which are whizzing around the area, or would that be too simple.

spuds 12:13 12 Nov 2015

"'Sometime today between 9am and 6pm' and he's not able to be home all day."

A number of companies are now quoting delivery times from 7am to 9pm, with some proving an AM/Pm or 1 hour slot. And perhaps more so, with companies that are now offering a next day delivery service, if items are ordered the previous day by 7pm or even 8pm, either online or by telephone.

John Lewis though, sees to be one of those companies who are still offering a yesterday year delivery service on hard goods. About 8 years ago I ordered a television from them, and it took 7 days to delivery in their own logo van. The same applied very recently with another television purchase from them. This time though, I was offered an AM or PM slot. Had I gone elsewhere, I would and possibly could have received the same item, the same or next day.

We have regular deliveries, usually daily by a number of courier firms, and all seem to have slightly different ideas, and how they should serve their customers, so it might pay to be wise about who will be delivering.

Recently I have had three problems with orders and deliveries. And in each case took the issues up with the supply company and the courier. Some very interesting comments were raised by all parties. One of the main issues was the 'card in the door' incidents, when a card was left, stating that the item was not able to be delivered by the courier driver. Our local ParcelForce delivery driver, as a tendency to leave a card, stating the item will be available at a post office, of his choosing. Sometimes its been an habit of getting to the door, and he was just driving off. I appreciate that he as a very hectic day on many occasions, so time is not on his side, neither is mine, when I am there, and he's gone, leaving me in the situation of leaving the item till the next day, or attending the chosen post office after 4.30pm in the hope the item will be available there for collection. Took this up ParcelForce HQ, having failed with local management. Apparently ParcelForce are now taking the issues seriously, and possible 're-training' of staff is in progress. I know one driver who isn't going to be an happy bunny!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)